Garmin Edge 605 vs. Garmin Etrex Vista Hcx

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Only difference is the electronic compass and the Barometric altimeter, are these actually important, will i miss them if I don't have them?

I personally say you wouldn't miss them. I don't personally use it as a 'real time' thing because i have a preconception that it isn't very accurate, on account of the fact that i get different readings for the same location. That may be wrong, it might be that i need to know how it works and to take an average, but i don't think i'd miss it if it didn't have it.
When I upload a route to motionbased, it displays a profile. However (a) most rides i pretty much know the profile anyway, and (;) it might know the profile from map data anyway (i.e. if you are at this position on the earth, you must be this high up.)

The electronic compass doesn't really seem that good, as if you stand still holding the unit and rotate it, it doesn't seem to rotate the pointer of which direction you're facing till you start moving.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:
I personally say you wouldn't miss them. I don't personally use it as a 'real time' thing because i have a preconception that it isn't very accurate, on account of the fact that i get different readings for the same location. That may be wrong, it might be that i need to know how it works and to take an average, but i don't think i'd miss it if it didn't have it.
When I upload a route to motionbased, it displays a profile. However (a) most rides i pretty much know the profile anyway, and (;) it might know the profile from map data anyway (i.e. if you are at this position on the earth, you must be this high up.)

The electronic compass doesn't really seem that good, as if you stand still holding the unit and rotate it, it doesn't seem to rotate the pointer of which direction you're facing till you start moving.

So basicly, i could just go for the legend instead of the vista then?

Joe24

bonj said:
if that's all the vista's got that the legend hasn't, then prob'ly would, yes.

Well work had them both out(only the fake ones with a small bit of info on) and me and a mate looked(he knew more then me) and that is all we could come up with, he reckoned the legend would have a compass on though.
Garmin compare just shows that aswell.
One is £169.99 at work(legend) other is £199.99(vista)
So if i can get the Legend instead it works out cheaper(not only because i can get discount on them) then get the city navigator maps(hoping i can get these from work so i can get discount aswell) and hopefull, get a nice set up for a not bad price.

andygates

andrew_s said:
you log on to OpenStreetmap and correct the mistake yourself. Same if there's a missing road or similar.

...or mail someone who's an OSM nerd :laugh: and they'll probably do it for you. It's addictive. I was out mapping the Haldon trails today. :laugh:

As to features: I don't miss not having the altimeter. The GPS-derived altimeter is close enough, and wacky weather can send a baro one off anyway. We did some Alpine riding this summer and my Venture without altimeter was within 20m where my partner's fancypants thing (605? 705? I was struggling to breathe so I missed it) was more like 40m out.

On the other hand I would like a compass that works when it's not moving, so the Vista beats the Venture on that regard.

You may also wish to check out Bikeroutetoaster.com which uses OSM routing. In city areas OSM's cycle paths are often better.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
bonj said:
Did you turn the compass on? (press & hold Quit/Page key)
If it's turned off, the compass arrow will work by GPS, which works as you describe

Joe24

andrew_s said:
Did you turn the compass on? (press & hold Quit/Page key)
If it's turned off, the compass arrow will work by GPS, which works as you describe

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Bonj, you forgot to turn it on;):blush::laugh::rolleyes:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Joe24 said:
Well work had them both out(only the fake ones with a small bit of info on) and me and a mate looked(he knew more then me) and that is all we could come up with, he reckoned the legend would have a compass on though.
Garmin compare just shows that aswell.
One is £169.99 at work(legend) other is £199.99(vista)
So if i can get the Legend instead it works out cheaper(not only because i can get discount on them) then get the city navigator maps(hoping i can get these from work so i can get discount aswell) and hopefull, get a nice set up for a not bad price.
Pentagongps can do you a legend Hcx for £153 and a Vista Hcx for £174, with free delivery to UK, so maybe you can use that as leverage at work :laugh:.

Garmin compare also gives the differences between Legend and Vista as Legend having no Electronic compass nor Altimeter.

Joe24

scoosh said:
Pentagongps can do you a legend Hcx for £153 and a Vista Hcx for £174, with free delivery to UK, so maybe you can use that as leverage at work :laugh:.

Garmin compare also gives the differences between Legend and Vista as Legend having no Electronic compass nor Altimeter.

I get 30% off at work, but I'm going to have a word with the manager and see if she can do me a deal, seen as ive been told how much we buy them in for;)

Joe24

scoosh said:

Yep, and i doubt ill make use of either, as long as it roughly tells me how far ive gone up, and how far ive gone down, i don't really care.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Well, without a barometer, it won't tell you how far you've gone up and down with any degree of accuracy. GPS is very good at giving a horizontal fix, but much less accurate (sometimes hundreds of feet out) at giving a vertical fix.

A barmometer alone is also very unreliable: it's the combination of the two which means the Vista is reasonably accurate most of the time (though it did once show me at 400 feet below sea-level for a while!).

jimboalee

Ben Lovejoy said:
Well, without a barometer, it won't tell you how far you've gone up and down with any degree of accuracy. GPS is very good at giving a horizontal fix, but much less accurate (sometimes hundreds of feet out) at giving a vertical fix.

A barmometer alone is also very unreliable: it's the combination of the two which means the Vista is reasonably accurate most of the time (though it did once show me at 400 feet below sea-level for a while!).

Agreed.

Which makes the Calorie counter on the Edge 605 a 'pluck some numbers out of the air' situation.

Calories are calculated depending upon the unit's vertical rise speed as well as its horizontal movement.

Expect a 10% variation over the same course at the same speed.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Ben Lovejoy said:

I've actually been there ... but without a barometer :blush:

bonj2

Joe24 said:
I get 30% off at work, but I'm going to have a word with the manager and see if she can do me a deal, seen as ive been told how much we buy them in for;)

see if you can get commission for each one of them you sell, 'cos if you've got one yourself you'll be better at selling them.

Joe24

bonj said:
see if you can get commission for each one of them you sell, 'cos if you've got one yourself you'll be better at selling them.

No, my work is shoot and doesnt do that.
Im also not put on the floor with the gps's, so doubt i would get asked, but im sure i can use that to try and get some more off the price;)

Top Bottom