Garmin Edge 810 and 2 cadence sensors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archeress

Veteran
Hi Guys,

Little background first, had a Mio Cyclo 105 which was doing well until recently when the Mio site and Strava stopped talking to each other. I tried downloading the GPX files from the Mio site and found that the GPX file was corrupt, however the data and route all showed correctly on the Mio site. After contacting Mio, I received a very curt reply basically brushing me off.

So my birthday is on Jan 6th and my partner has bought me a shiny new Edge 810 (with some of the money from my parents thrown in, so that's how I know about it). He has bought a model with a cadence sensor. Now I already have a Mio ANT+ sensor on the road bike so I was thinking of putting the new cadence sensor on the mountain bike.

What I would like to know is will the Garmin be okay with 2 different cadence sensors on 2 different bikes or will it get all confused? Has anyone had this situation? I won't be allowed the Garmin to play with until the day of my birthday.

Hugs
Archeress x

Tommy2

Über Member
I have a Garmin 910xt with three bikes that each have a cadence sensor, I have a profile for each bike in the Garmin unit and it picks up each one when I switch to whichever bike I'm using at the time so providing your Garmin will accept the mio sensor it should be fine.

OP
OP
Archeress

Archeress

Veteran
I got my new Edge 810 this morning :hyper: I installed some maps and fitted the out front mount to my road bike and cycled out to loonieversity. After a lecture needed to visit the bank, so fed in the postcode and off I went, just that the computer wanted to take me further north than I wanted to go.

BTW the Edge 810 does talk to Mio Ant+ sensors just in case anyone else needs to know.

Hugs
Archeress x

OP
OP
Archeress

Archeress

Veteran
I fitted the garmin speed and cadence sensors to the MTB today. These are new fangled doodads that don't use magnets. The speed one is attached to the hub axle and the cadence one is attached to the non drive crank. Had to fit the speed sensor to the front wheel as I couldn't reach the rear axle due to having a disc brake rotor one side and the cassette the other side.

Hugs
Archeress x

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I fitted the garmin speed and cadence sensors to the MTB today. These are new fangled doodads that don't use magnets. The speed one is attached to the hub axle and the cadence one is attached to the non drive crank. Had to fit the speed sensor to the front wheel as I couldn't reach the rear axle due to having a disc brake rotor one side and the cassette the other side.

Hugs
Archeress x
Had them about a year now. 500% better than the old one that used to break if it got within a mile of water.

Hugs
Archeress x
I've only got the cadence sensor but it is a lot more stable than gsc10; the new cadence sensor takes a few crank revolutions to activate sensor doodah but once it does it give you none of the stupidly high peaks (eg 260 rpm) and touchwood the cr@ppy weather over Christmas when it was ridden nearly every day failed to kill it ;-)

Montydog

Hugs
Archeress x

yep was abit of a pain getting the thing fitted to rear hub.......my road bike has disc brakes......a few choice words soon had it sorted though!:whistle::laugh:

mark c

Über Member
I have had my 810 for four months and its had its troubles but after the last update its been working a dream, although now i said that its bound to have a wobbly, Mine has the Europe NT map sd card which when i was out in Portugal was excellent having roads that where not shown on the Michelin map we normally use, now looking forward to try it out in France in July as we are following the tour around the Cotentin peninsular.

OP
OP
Archeress

Archeress

Veteran
I have had my 810 for four months and its had its troubles but after the last update its been working a dream, although now i said that its bound to have a wobbly, Mine has the Europe NT map sd card which when i was out in Portugal was excellent having roads that where not shown on the Michelin map we normally use, now looking forward to try it out in France in July as we are following the tour around the Cotentin peninsular.
I've only got the UK maps, if I go abroad it's unlikely I'd be cycling as I'd be with my fiance who does little cycling.

Hugs
Archeress x

Top Bottom