Garmin edge and mapping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello
I'm relatively new to cycling (pleasure/fitness) and looking to purchase a Garmin computer/GPS. I'm looking at the edge 810or 820 but getting awfully confused about mapping. To save me wasting another night viewing YouTube reviews, could someone please explain what they come with ?base maps and if they both do, why then some talk about adding additional maps via a micro s card? I'm just wanting some basic ride data with navigation so I can do a few 20or 30mile rides without getting lost!! All advice greatly received. #confused

20 or 30mile rides
For that distance, just use your phone.

Strava to record ride data, and built in maps to help if you get lost.

If you are on Android, osmand is excellent for following pre planned routes.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I love my Garmin Edge 1000, it shows you all the necessary ride data and also has 'round trip routing' so you can choose how many miles you want to ride and it will give you a choice of 3 round trip routes, pick one and off you go.
It was Great for me when riding in The Dordogne last year where I was completely unfamiliar with the area.
The Edge 1000 is quite expensive but the Touring model also has the 'round trip routing' all the data and is much cheaper.

You add Openstreetmaps, which are downloadable free from several sites (links below) and they work extremely well. Your other option, as mentioned, is to use your phone. Personally I've never been tempted by that option but for others it suffices. The unit comes only with very basic maps which is why you need a better map.

https://talkytoaster.co.uk/
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ (use generic routable, new style)

You make the route on any mapping site, like Garmin connect, ridewithgps etc. and download it onto your device as a gpx file, then simply tell the device to navigate a course, choose the downloaded course and you'll get turn by turn directions. It really is very simple, Garmin support is good if you encounter problems as are the forums. You can also load Garmin connect on your phone and upload rides automatically, view your data or allow people to track you (not available on all units but the 810/820 definitely can)

tobykenobi

Über Member
I bought an Edge 810 when Aldi were doing them as a special. Thought it was still a lot to pay but haven't regretted it.

Like others, I have downloaded Open Street Maps and the seem very good. There are lots of guides on how to install, here's one I used.

What I like:
  • Decent battery life. Did a 75 mile sportive and it still had over 50% charge. I don't think my smartphone would have lasted that long
  • Decent display which is always on
  • Variety of screens. You can see stats, maps, race a virtual opponent, see gradient, etc.
  • It will sync with your phone and automatically load stats to Endomondo, Strava, etc
  • The Live Track allows my wife to see where I am
Niggles:
  • Sometimes loses the bluetooth connection and refuses to reconnect
  • Sometime the auto upload doesn't work and you have to do it manually.
There's probably loads more it can do (I think there's a Get Me Home function for example).

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I don't think the Edge 820 has a card slot - instead you have to download maps directly into the unit's memory. The Edge 810 does have a card slot and I found it easy to install Open Street Maps on a micro SD card and, though I prefer 1:50000 OS Mapping, Open Street Maps is a good, free alternative.

worth noting but never had a problem with mine.
I read that thread with increasing horror, as just about no one had a good word to say about them. I expected more voices to jump to Garmin's defence. You should reply to it..

broady

Veteran
I love my 1000, but have chosen not to comment on that thread.
I've had a few issues every now and again, but its less than any others I've had (other than the 200 that has never done anything wrong, but nor does it do a great deal)

Top Bottom