Garmin Edge 1000 - potential buyers beware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lpoolck

Veteran
I purchased a Garmin Edge 1000 after completing coast to coast and wishing for an easier way to follow a route due to the fact as I was constantly stopping to check my map/phone to make sure I was still on the correct course.

However I wish I never bothered, the navigation does not work for any course that is over around 30 miles, it either just crashes/stops navigating or randomly says your going the wrong way around the course and to make a u-turn!! It doesn't look like a faulty unit as a lot of people I have spoken to who have the 1000 have also said this.

I have emailed Garmin to request support, however they have been very poor - just advising me to do the obvious (reset, create route in Garmin basecap instead of Garmin connect, use open street maps instead of google maps etc etc). Now when turning on my Edge I get an error message to inform me that the maps cannot be authenticated - yet they still work?!?. Garmin are no longer replying to my emails - I have not got aggressive if any of my emails or said anything that would warrant them to ignore my emails, I am just wanting help to sort this issue out.

I am planning on doing LEJOG this August, and it looks like I will be back to paper maps due to my Edge 1000 not being able to carry of the features which I purchased it for - first world problem I know.

So if anyone is looking to buy a navigation device for their cycle rides I would recommend them seriously looking at other options than the Edge 1000. I have heard good things about the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt.

Also if you create and edit a route in Garmin Connect using a previous ride you have done, when you upload the amended route to your Edge 1000 it will not recognise any of the amendments and it will just navigate you for the original route...until it crashes that is! Just caught out with this new bug today.

Rant over. But I hope someone will find this useful and dodge a bullet that I unfortunately did not.

I have sent Garmin a tweet as my last hope to get support to resolve this issue as it appears the power of twitter has worked for others if it gets enough likes/retweets.

BrynCP

Über Member
I find Garmin Software shockingly bad.

That said, I don't experience the first issue you mention. Today, for example, I did a 50 mile route created using connect and had turn by turn Navigation on and it was fine. A month ago I did a 60 mile one and it was also spot on.

I did spot there was a new version pushed this last week that supposedly fixes some crashing when using navigation, I did have that update applied before today's ride so perhaps the version before last was error prone

Also if you create and edit a route in Garmin Connect using a previous ride you have done, when you upload the amended route to your Edge 1000 it will not recognise any of the amendments and it will just navigate you for the original route...until it crashes that is! Just caught out with this new bug today.
Bloody annoying isn't it, I like to take out all the wrong turns I made etc. so I don't do them again - I think this could be an error with Connect as the same issue happened with my Edge 500. And in Connect you used to be able to search for activities by keyword, it barely ever worked, and now they've just deleted the function altogether to cure the problem!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Nice to hear that you are not experiencing all the problems I am @BrynCP and your device is somewhat fit for purpose.

My software / firmware is up to date. I think it's up to version 12.10 if memory serves.

It just seems with any Garmin update they fix an issue and create 2-5 other issues. Is this a ploy by the technical team to keep themselves in a job?

The device is over 3 years old and its embarrassing that they are still so many bugs with their most premium device.

Does your 'distance to destination' work on your edge when you have a course your following? It takes mine about 20 mins to work out the correct distance to the destination, until that point it over calculates by about 20 miles...

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I use Edge 1000 and find it 'OK', in the main.
I did an 85 mile route today created in connect and only had three dodgy instructions where it said to turn right at a junction, but when I did it immediately said 'off course' then took forever to correct itself. 'OK' is not really good enough for the money they charge though. However they have the market cornered....for now. I'm keen to know if the new Wahoo Element is any better.

I kind of get used to it and accept its quirkiness. I find it's quirky alleyway and cycleway shortcuts hilarious!

Last year on London-Edinburgh it literally guided us through a field. I kid you not.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
I use Edge 1000 and find it 'OK', in the main. 'OK' is not really good enough for the money they charge though. However they have the market cornered....for now. I'm keen to know if the new Wahoo Element is any better.

Pretty sums what I think up perfectly.

Last year on London-Edinburgh it literally guided us through a field. I kid you not.

I can believe it unfortunately. My mates Garmin 520 was telling us we were off course on a ride about 5 days ago and we needed to be around 100 yards to the east.... There was not another road, bridal way, track etc in any direction for probably a couple of miles.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Not an Edge 1000 user but I bought into Garmin with an Edge 20, their entry level device. Nothing but constant crashes and freezes, sent it back under warranty and now the replacement device is doing the same (now out of warranty).

I've gone back to a wired computer and a wheel magnet and I feel a lot less stressed about it.

(Not much help with navigation I'll admit.)

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
My 1000 has been exemplary from day one. Use it often enough with ridewithgps planned routes, never missed a beat(read turn)

You defintely must have bought a counterfeit Garmin then ;) ... A Garmin never missing a beat... I don't believe it.

I will have to try RWGPS for routes. I know the wahoo you can send the routes 'wirelessly' from RWGPS or strava. Shame Garmin don't offer this feature for a device that is twice the price!

Top Bottom