Garmin Edge 1000 - potential buyers beware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I kind of get used to it and accept its quirkiness. I find it's quirky alleyway and cycleway shortcuts hilarious!

Last year on London-Edinburgh it literally guided us through a field. I kid you not.
Had these on a 705 as well. They're OSM (and, no doubt, other routing providers) issues, not GPS ones. You have to remember that the device's location finding cannot be completely accurate, the map data cannot be completely accurate, and the routing information (along with all the programming etc) is in the hands of fallible human beings. Unfortunately.
Fundamental rules with any GPS:
Don't let the GPS do your routes. Do your route planning on a planner of your choice, and go over it with a fine tooth comb. And even then it won't be absolutely perfect.
Regardless, do not take whatever route it then gives you as gospel. I know this all too well. If it tells you one thing and your common sense says another, go with your common sense.

I stick with GPX tracks instead of routes. Have (mostly) successfully navigated 150+ miles without too many problems.

I find it odd they won't respond. I don't have the 1000 but I did have some initial issues with my 820 crashing which I raised with support. naturally they got me to do the simple stuff first which did actually work: Hard reset, latest software.

If you look under the Garmin file structure you should have an error log. All of the errors I had were captured in that, sending that to Garmin may help. If not I'd ring them.

Other oddities I've noted are that different maps give quite different responses to directions. Openstreetmap, generic routable (new style) from the Dutch site work best for me, although I never get directions at a crossroads if it's straight on, which I find odd but acceptable.

Milzy

Guru
Of course my iPhone could be useful if it didn't burn the battery out so fast. They need a solar panel face.

PK99

Legendary Member
Had these on a 705 as well. They're OSM (and, no doubt, other routing providers) issues, not GPS ones. You have to remember that the device's location finding cannot be completely accurate, the map data cannot be completely accurate, and the routing information (along with all the programming etc) is in the hands of fallible human beings. Unfortunately.
Fundamental rules with any GPS:
Don't let the GPS do your routes. Do your route planning on a planner of your choice, and go over it with a fine tooth comb. And even then it won't be absolutely perfect.
Regardless, do not take whatever route it then gives you as gospel. I know this all too well. If it tells you one thing and your common sense says another, go with your common sense.

I stick with GPX tracks instead of routes. Have (mostly) successfully navigated 150+ miles without too many problems.

I've never had a problem provided I use the same mapping to plot as to navigate .OSM cycle on ride with gps and on 800 and touring.

I've known friends have issues using different mapping.

Also vital to have auto reroute OFF. As a few m deviation can screw you up if ON.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've never had a problem provided I use the same mapping to plot as to navigate .OSM cycle on ride with gps and on 800 and touring.

I've known friends have issues using different mapping.

Also vital to have auto reroute OFF. As a few m deviation can screw you up if ON.
I use OSM maps on the Garmin and OSM routing on the plotting sites…results clearly vary.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I know the wahoo you can send the routes 'wirelessly' from RWGPS or strava. Shame Garmin don't offer this feature for a device that is twice the price!

I always send routes wirelessly to my Edge 1000, that functionality is already there. I also manage the updates wirelessly. However I am keen to understand how good the Wahoo is as I may just swap brands.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
I always send routes wirelessly to my Edge 1000, that functionality is already there. I also manage the updates wirelessly. However I am keen to understand how good the Wahoo is as I may just swap brands.

Yes, you can send routes that are on Garmin connect wirelessly to your edge. However you cannot send routes you create using RWGPS or strava wirelessly to your edge... Unless you send the created route from RWGPS or strava to Garmin connect first. With the wahoo you can send the route wirelessly from RWGPS, strava and their own website.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
I find it odd they won't respond.

They were responding within 48 hours however when they realised I had done or did everything they suggested and I was still having the issues, along with some others, they have so far failed to get back to my emails since the 13th April.

Thanks for the information regarding the error log. I would be interested to know if the Garmin even considers what its doing to be an error. As I doubt it would even consider the last routing error I got when I created a course from a previous activity to be an error and therfore record it in the error log!

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yes, the sooner other companies, e.g. Wahoo, Bryton, etc. start providing some serious competition, the better. Garmin's almost monopoly on cycling GPS computers has made them complacent and too slow to respond to genuine customer problems.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Could also point out (since mapping is relevant) I'm using the latest Garmin Euro maps, 2017.20 or something,the pre-installed OSM is disabled but kept up to date via connect

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Like @StuAff I stick to pre-planned GPX tracks. This is fine for me because I absolutely love fiddling round with maps and planning routes, checking out google streetview and so on. It's probably less fine for other people who don't enjoy this, and just want to head off and ride their bikes. The only problem with this method is that you need to keep in mind where your next turn is, or you might sail past it (no beep alert on my GPS, maybe there is on others) and maybe at some unusual junctions (5 ways, stuff like that) I can get a bit confused and head off the wrong way and have to turn back.

Top Bottom