Garmin Edge 1000 - potential buyers beware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I am sold!!!!!!!!
I have been using a Mio Cyclo 315 for the last 18 months and absolutely love it!

Bigger screen than most of the Garmins and seems to have a similar huge number of functions including:

Turn by turn navigation. Really quick to recalculate route if you tale a wrong turn.
Surprise me function, where you input a distance or time and it will create 3 routes for you to choose from.
I get about 10 hours battery life from a full charge.
Live Strava segments.
Ant+ connectivity for HR monitors, cadence and speed sensors.
DI2 connectivity.
Multiple screens fully configurable to display any of a huge number of possible options.
A lot more stuff that I either don't use or can't remember.

When I first got it, some of the above functionality was missing but has subsequently been added with several software update.

I can honestly say that it has never crashed and I haven't had a single problem.

I use it a lot and ride approx 7000 miles a year.

You can pick one up new for about £160.

Graham

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
I agree @Gary E that Garmin should now have these issues sorted on products which have been on the market for years. But they don't which shows these devices are not a priority for them, which makes me feel like a mug for handing so much cash over for their premium device.

@Mark1978 wahoo does look intuitive, does more than the edge 1000 and at a small price! Seems they are a real competitor which is what the market has been crying out for in my opinion.

Ice2911

Über Member
I have been using a Mio Cyclo 315 for the last 18 months and absolutely love it!

Bigger screen than most of the Garmins and seems to have a similar huge number of functions including:

Turn by turn navigation. Really quick to recalculate route if you tale a wrong turn.
Surprise me function, where you input a distance or time and it will create 3 routes for you to choose from.
I get about 10 hours battery life from a full charge.
Live Strava segments.
Ant+ connectivity for HR monitors, cadence and speed sensors.
DI2 connectivity.
Multiple screens fully configurable to display any of a huge number of possible options.
A lot more stuff that I either don't use or can't remember.

When I first got it, some of the above functionality was missing but has subsequently been added with several software update.

I can honestly say that it has never crashed and I haven't had a single problem.

I use it a lot and ride approx 7000 miles a year.

You can pick one up new for about £160.

Graham
How do you create routes? RWGPS? Does it take GPX files? Sounds a lot more reliable than mine at the moment.

How do you create routes? RWGPS? Does it take GPX files? Sounds a lot more reliable than mine at the moment.

Yes. Create the route with RideWithGps and then export as .gpx. I then copy the .gpx file into the Tracks folder on the device using the Finder app on my MacBook.

I have to connect the Mio to my MacBook using a USB cable to upload to Strava etc. But it's no big hassle.

I believe the Mio 505 can do this wirelessly.

Graham

Ice2911

Über Member
Yes. Create the route with RideWithGps and then export as .gpx. I then copy the .gpx file into the Tracks folder on the device using the Finder app on my MacBook.

I have to connect the Mio to my MacBook using a USB cable to upload to Strava etc. But it's no big hassle.

I believe the Mio 505 can do this wirelessly.

Graham
Many thanks for this, I may well give it a go, not happy with mine that's for sure.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I'm really keen to hear from anyone that has the new Wahoo Elemnt(s).
I reckon it might just be a Garmin killer. Subject to real life reviews I would consider switching from the Edge 1000.

*sits back and waits patiently....

Many thanks for this, I may well give it a go, not happy with mine that's for sure.

So far, I've used it mainly in the Cambs/Northants area and also a longish ride in the Yorkshire Dales with no problems at all.

If you're prepared to wait a few weeks I'm doing a LEJOG from 7-21 May using .gpx files which will give it a good test across the length of Britain. I'll report back after.

Graham

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
So far, I've used it mainly in the Cambs/Northants area and also a longish ride in the Yorkshire Dales with no problems at all.

If you're prepared to wait a few weeks I'm doing a LEJOG from 7-21 May using .gpx files which will give it a good test across the length of Britain. I'll report back after.

Graham

How many days are you cycling from LEJOG, 14 days?

Ice2911

Über Member

Graham
Perfect as I'm doing LEJOG starting 17th June. Good luck and enjoy the ride what type of route are you planning ? I'm looking to avoid main roads as Mcgowan as possible, I as looking at Royston Woods Safer route, this has GPx files linked to it.

barongreenback

Über Member
I reckon it might just be a Garmin killer. Subject to real life reviews I would consider switching from the Edge 1000.

*sits back and waits patiently....

I have the new Bolt having upgraded from the RFLKT. The screen isn't colour but I found the preloaded maps perfectly easy to follow. Routes are synced automatically from Strava and Ridewithgps although you only get turn by turn with the latter. I found some of the turn by turn directions were a touch too small on the screen and the map was sometimes of more use. It can do a kind of an automatic route with your phone when you're out on the road but proper routes need your PC.

Battery life seems to be good so far, the unit itself is really easy to configure. Set up with my HRM and speed/cadence sensor was a breeze.

What I can't do is compare it to a Garmin as I don't own one but I'm a real fan of Wahoo and their customer support. 3 weeks in and I'm a very happy customer.

If the Wahoo is better than the Garmin it would be interesting to know why - Bicycle GPS navigation over longer distances really comes down to how good the operator is - how well it is programmed - and the maps - how good they are - not so much the accuracy of the mapping per se - but the underlying information attached to each element of the mapping

Touch wood I've not had the many garmin problems folk have. My first 305 couldn't handle routes with more than 500 points but once I realized that it was fine apart from one space out in a thunder storm. Its replacement an 800 never had any problems until it got waterlogged and its replacement a 1000 also got waterlogged but was replaced under warranty and I never had a problem with its replacement until I did attach it right :blush: and I had to get another replacement :blush::blush:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
RWGPS app (premium). Iphone (other less awesome phones available). Download the map in advance and switch to airplane mode. Put phone in a charging case and use a Quadlock to secure it. You have a massively clearer screen without any of the crashing. Charging case gives an extra 1.5 charges (2.5 batteries in total) which I'ved used for 8 hours still with plenty to spare.

My Garmin Edge is gathering dust and will be ebayed soon.
I may try that myself, thanks for the tip. I found a link for a waterproof phone holder with bicycle mount, which will fit my Samsung Galaxy S5:
https://www.casebuddy.com.au/products/galaxy-s3-s4-s5-waterproof-bike-holder?variant=1074686216

One thing I don't like about my Garmin Edge 800 is that its odometer is rubbish. The odometer on my previous Garmin, an Edge 705, went up to at least 100,000km, but the Edge 800 odometer is limited to 42,949.7km, because it appears to store the distance in a 32-bit number and with too fine a precision. If it was stored with a precision of 0.1km, then it could go up to any distance I could possibly ride on a single bike, but some idiot at Garmin obviously decided cyclists would never ride more than about 43,000km on a bike! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom