Garmin Edge 1000 - potential buyers beware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Yes. Create the route with RideWithGps and then export as .gpx. I then copy the .gpx file into the Tracks folder on the device using the Finder app on my MacBook.

I have to connect the Mio to my MacBook using a USB cable to upload to Strava etc. But it's no big hassle.

I believe the Mio 505 can do this wirelessly.

Graham

It can, and this works wonderfully well. It's the reason I opted for the 505 over the 315.

10 hours battery life is probably the main reason I never bought a Mio Cyclo: that's not even close to being enough.
I agree, the 505 nominally has 10 hours, but if you use ant+ sensors, in winter, with the Bluetooth on, it's more like 4. I use a small battery pack that extends that to 8 in winter or 15 in summer. It charges whilst riding and I keep it in a top tube bag.

Mio 315 is ordered, I don't care if it lasts 3 hours it's enough for me.

Nice, I really like mine, not had any software issues, the navigation is top notch and the routing on the device is pretty good, before you ride though make sure you set up your profile properly as you can tell it what road types you prefer.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
You didnt read my post then?

Yes I did thanks. You mentioned it would have to be an IQ app that you would install on your device.

My understanding is that the wahoo bolt transfers courses from RWGPS is alot more intuitive (simular to Garmin connect) and doesn't loose some functions as the ones you described you had small issues with.

I will try it later down the road, however I wanted the first time I use the RWGPS course creator on the most basic level to see if creating courses via RWGPS is a solution. If so, I will try the IQ app for transfer so should I encounter any issues via this method I know it's likely to be the IQ app.

Furthermore installing an IQ app is just another thing to go wrong on my device at the minute!

Last edited:
Mio 315 is ordered, I don't care if it lasts 3 hours it's enough for me.

I don't think you'll regret it.

Like most devices, it has a couple of foibles which can be overcome relatively easily. Here are a couple that I've come across:

1. The Mio has a large touch screen which, 99% of the time, makes interacting with the device very easy. However, if its very wet I find it best to set the screen lock to come on after 15 or 30 seconds, otherwise the water on the screen can cause spurious button presses. This only seems to be a problem if it's very wet with sheets of water on the screen. The device itself is very waterproof though.

2. I set the device to use imperial units, i.e. miles instead of km. This results in the temperature (if selected for display) being shown in farenheit. The temp can only be set independently of other units by manually editing a configuration file to get it to show celsius with distances being shown in miles. This may not bother you, but if you want to fettle it then PM me and I'll send you a link to instructions on how to manually fettle the config file.

I honestly can't remember having any other problems.

If you turn the backlight to it's lowest setting, you should easily get 8-10 hours out of the battery.

Enjoy.

Graham

My 810 has disgraced its self on the last two rides. It has a history of similar antics.

Sunday 23rd April
Screen locked after 17.3 miles. Restarted.
Turned its self off after a further 13.8 miles. Restarted.
Worked fine for a further 71.4 miles.

Tues 18th April
Screen locked after 2.6 miles. Restarted.
Screen locked after a further 29.7 miles. restarted.
Screen locked after a further 25.2 miles. restarted.
Worked fine for a further 48.8 miles.

I've just loaded the latest firmware, performed a factory reset and re-entered all of my settings.
Its now on its final warning. If it locks up or turns its self off one more time I will be ordering a Wahoo Elemnt.

I started a thread on the Audax FB group, it seems there are plenty of people in the Garmin boat who are having problems.

Graham

MichaelO

Veteran
If it locks up or turns its self off one more time I will be ordering a Wahoo Elemnt.
Mine went way past its final warning. Elemnt Bolt ordered, and I should get most of that cost back in ebay-ing my 810 (seems like there are enough people out there willing to pay a decent price for second hand ones). By my estimations, at worst, it will have cost me £50 to switch from an 810 to the Bolt.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
My 810 has disgraced its self on the last two rides. It has a history of similar antics.

Sunday 23rd April
Screen locked after 17.3 miles. Restarted.
Turned its self off after a further 13.8 miles. Restarted.
Worked fine for a further 71.4 miles.

Tues 18th April
Screen locked after 2.6 miles. Restarted.
Screen locked after a further 29.7 miles. restarted.
Screen locked after a further 25.2 miles. restarted.
Worked fine for a further 48.8 miles.

I've just loaded the latest firmware, performed a factory reset and re-entered all of my settings.
Its now on its final warning. If it locks up or turns its self off one more time I will be ordering a Wahoo Elemnt.

I started a thread on the Audax FB group, it seems there are plenty of people in the Garmin boat who are having problems.

Graham

My screen randomly and regularly locks itself. I follow the instructions to unlock it, but it doesn't work, then as like you have experienced @graham bowers it will just magically unlock itself.

My screen randomly and regularly locks itself. I follow the instructions to unlock it, but it doesn't work, then as like you have experienced @graham bowers it will just magically unlock itself.
I feel your pain............
What do you do to unlock yours please? I just turn mine off then switch it on again (whilst enjoying fantasies on hammering it to bits, then jumping on the bits).

Trickedem

Guru
I've had an 800 for 5 years. Once I got it working,(after a few updates) it has worked really well, particularly giving turn by turn instructions. It has crashed on me a few times, but generally I've been happy with it. However, I also have an eTrex 30 which I always use alongside it, but it doesn't do turn by turn instructions very well.
I'm really pleased that Garmin now have a bit of competition, hopefully this will encourage them to treat their customers better and stop releasing rubbish software.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
I feel your pain............
What do you do to unlock yours please? I just turn mine off then switch it on again (whilst enjoying fantasies on hammering it to bits, then jumping on the bits).

You used to be able to hold down power button and click unlock. That feature has gone so what I do is press a multitude of options such as hold anywhere on the screen, turn on and off, start stop button. Generally none work and it just ends up unlocking itself after whatever time it decides to!

Google it, it's a common bug that Garmin are so slow to resolve. Think the bug has been around for 3 years now.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Yet again on my ride my edge 1000 stopped proving me with turn by turn direction around 40 miles into my ride.

Prior to this my 'distance to destination' was constantly under calculating the distance left (by about 40 miles). Soon as my turn by turn stopped working the distance to destination became accurate. Seems the edge can only have so many features working correctly at one time

I used RWGPS to map the route (good site) and it provided a new feature I had not seen (see attached photo). This feature continued to work but the alerts only came up about 5 meters after making the turn, so you could not rely on this feature so guide you the way, but only tell you when you have taken a wrong turn.

Garmin have responded to my tweet and provided me with a case reference and told me to be patient as it will take a while to resolve my issues....

I am going to call Garmin as others have recommended, but due to work commitments I have not yet had an opportunity.

If the software did work on my device it would be a great device with all the features I want/need. But it never works 100%.

My livetrack also didn't work today, not sure why as I haven't changed any settings.... It's just got a mind of its own. I am very frustrated and if I could get a refund on my Garmin I would do it in an instant!

Attachments

• 20170429_184828.jpg
    20170429_184828.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Top Bottom