Garmin Edge Spikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
My edge recorded a spike of 77.9mph, nice as that is, its wrong and I would like to smooth it out, is there a way to do it ?

actonblue

Über Member
Have you got the latest version of the software? There might be an issue with spikes
that has been resolved with an updated version.
Check the Garmin site to see if this is an issue. I had a problem with unit switching itself off and that was resolved with an update.
If all else fails contact Gramin support and they might help.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I get that now and again with my Edge 205. I think it may be some sort of interference from power-lines etc

PaulB

Legendary Member
The pulse monitor on both my 305 and 705 also can be wiiiild. There is an easy, downhill straight section of road near me that when I cycle down, my pulse, the absolute maximum being 148, reads 220-230! How does that happen? I think it may be the artefact caused by the wind rattling the top I am wearing which rapidly bounces off the chest band that records every tap as though it's the pulse.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Don't know about the Edge but the Etrex models sometimes deviate from one's true path for a few minutes. Then all of a sudden they "snap" back to where you actually are. Depending on how frequently you record trackpoints this can create momentarily ludicrous speed readings.

My Legend once showed me running at over 30 kph for a few seconds in the middle of a 80 km ultramarathon (and before anyone gets any silly ideas about my fitness the whole thing took me 18 hours:blush:)

It's quite rare though. I am definitely believing the 63 kph I clocked on the bike yesterday.

zacklaws

Guru
The spikes can be removed by exporting the activity, then opening the exported file with an XML editor, search for the 77.9mph bit and then edit it out. But you can either remove that section or do a guestimate of what you think it should be.

Once done import it back into TC. If you go into the Garmin forums, there is info on how to do it.

As for spikes, I had some big heart rate ones last year, but eventually found it was caused by sticking my plastic ID card into my heart rate monitor strap to stop it flapping about around my neck as I rode with an open shirt. It only happened on steep hills towards the top when my HR would shoot up to about 250bpm. I suspect the card may have caused an echo or something similar when my heart was beating hard, as the moment I got suspicious of it, I removed it from the belt as I was getting a spike and my HR dropped from 200+ back down into the 180's instantly.

zacklaws

Guru
Whilst out riding today, I remembered a strange series of spikes that happened last winter 2008/2009 on one ride I did.

On downloading from the Edge into TC, I noticed 7 strange spikes, but unlike a normal spike, upwards, these went down to zero for a slight pause before going back to a normal rate.

When I looked closely as to the exact spot on the first occurence on the map, I noticed that it happened after a long steady climb and my HR was high in the 180's and I was starting a slow decent, when my HR dropped to zero. It was then that I remembered that I always take a drink at that point, just after I get my breath back before racing off. When I looked at the other spots too, they all tallied up with places where I took a drink.

Why it happened? I have not the faintest. I have some presumptions, that maybe when taking a drink, I made a movement that broke contact between my HR monitor and my chest, maybe moving the water bottle across my chest broke the signal to the receiver. My other big theory why it may have happened was, it was a very cold bitter day, just above freezing, my drink was bitterly cold and perhaps it had chilled enough to be just above freezing, and then when I drunk it, the shock internally was enough to just shock my heart into pausing briefly, one of the symptoms of "cold shock" is cardiac arrest, maybe I was lucky. Or there again, the fluid going down my neck may have interfered with the monitor somehow messing up the electrical pulses from my heart.

Whatever caused it, its never happened again.

jimboalee

zacklaws said:
Whilst out riding today, I remembered a strange series of spikes that happened last winter 2008/2009 on one ride I did.

On downloading from the Edge into TC, I noticed 7 strange spikes, but unlike a normal spike, upwards, these went down to zero for a slight pause before going back to a normal rate.

When I looked closely as to the exact spot on the first occurence on the map, I noticed that it happened after a long steady climb and my HR was high in the 180's and I was starting a slow decent, when my HR dropped to zero. It was then that I remembered that I always take a drink at that point, just after I get my breath back before racing off. When I looked at the other spots too, they all tallied up with places where I took a drink.

Why it happened? I have not the faintest. I have some presumptions, that maybe when taking a drink, I made a movement that broke contact between my HR monitor and my chest, maybe moving the water bottle across my chest broke the signal to the receiver. My other big theory why it may have happened was, it was a very cold bitter day, just above freezing, my drink was bitterly cold and perhaps it had chilled enough to be just above freezing, and then when I drunk it, the shock internally was enough to just shock my heart into pausing briefly, one of the symptoms of "cold shock" is cardiac arrest, maybe I was lucky. Or there again, the fluid going down my neck may have interfered with the monitor somehow messing up the electrical pulses from my heart.

Whatever caused it, its never happened again.

You're a "Flatliner".

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Thanks everyone, I will have a mess around, I assume there should be just one figure of 77.9mph ?

So far its the first ever spike (after a total of 7 months of using a garmin on and off) never had the HR issues some people are having, but I will watch out for it.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
redddraggon said:
I've had my 705 for over 6 months and never had a speed or HR spike.

Perhaps it's because you ride in a built up area?

You could be right, most of my commute is semi-rural but (and I will have to check) I think it happened either in Manc City Cen or around Fallowfield/Manchester Royal hospital, so that would make sense and also explane why I have no had this before ( as I normally dont use the route)

zacklaws

Guru
gb155 said:
Thanks everyone, I will have a mess around, I assume there should be just one figure of 77.9mph ?

At a guess, their may only be one entry, but when you search through the file, just keep searching. Just type in a figure you presume you was probably doing that seems reasonable, import it back into TC and see if it looks right.

The files are quiet large, but don't be intimidated, look for what time it happened before you start editing in TC, then just look amongst the time stamps when you open the exported file and you will soon find it if you do it manually, otherwise just type 77.9 into "find"

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
zacklaws said:
At a guess, their may only be one entry, but when you search through the file, just keep searching. Just type in a figure you presume you was probably doing that seems reasonable, import it back into TC and see if it looks right.

The files are quiet large, but don't be intimidated, look for what time it happened before you start editing in TC, then just look amongst the time stamps when you open the exported file and you will soon find it if you do it manually, otherwise just type 77.9 into "find"

Excellent, Many Thanks

zacklaws

Guru
I have now got another new problem causing me spikes and screwing everything up on the majority of my rides, a damm mobile phone mast.

Started getting big spikes well into the 200's on my rides about 2 months ago, when I looked for where it happens in GTC it always happens as I pass this mobile phone mast a few hundred yards from my home and on the road thats the gateway for 90%+ of all my rides, the heart rate increases rapidly as I approach it and then it drops rapidly after I have passed it.

They must have installed something new or boosted the output, I feel like sawing the damm thing down. Maybe I might be able to shield the receiver somehow as I pass it by.

Any suggestions anyone? Good price for hacksaw blades?

Perhaps this is one of the reasons that we get occasional spikes, as they hide them all over the place and most we probably never even spot.

Top Bottom