Garmin Edge Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cringles

I've been thinking of getting one of these for my trips around Ireland. I feel more comfortable having a GPS as backup. I've never attempted to read a map before :O So many mixed reviews on various sites, though most date back to 2013, which I'm sure the OS has been updated & works better. Is there much of a different between the standard & plus version? Halfords still seems to be the cheapest to pick one up.

snorri

Legendary Member
I've never attempted to read a map before
:eek:Maps are great, well worth studying map reading, along with a pocket compass they usually get you where you want to go.
After the second time of not being able to find my campsite when returning in the dark from city centre ramblings in a foreign country I bought a Garmin Etrex, and that's all I use it for. Never felt the need to upgrade to anything more sophisticated.

Cringles

I've just never been in the position that I need one. But I suppose I better start. Just any old map or is there a certain scale that you recommend? I don't even recall learning to read a map in school. Would have been handier than teaching us the recorder!

I've just never been in the position that I need one. But I suppose I better start. Just any old map or is there a certain scale that you recommend? I don't even recall learning to read a map in school. Would have been handier than teaching us the recorder!
Certainly.

Get hold of an ordnance survey map in the orange or pink series, preferably orange of an area you know really well. Look at the index and try to remember the symbols and then compare it to what you know and what is on the map. Their detail is amazing in the UK. To the point where if a path or bridleway runs alongside a wall or field boundary, the map will tell you exactly which side of that wall it runs. The orange series is 1:25,000 and very detailed. The pink is 1:50,000 and whilst it had the same level of detail it can be a touch harder to use unless you have a lot of experience following them from a walking point of view. I find them completely and utterly fascinating.

Cringles

Thanks, Just need to see if I need an Ireland or UK map for Northern Ireland now. An Island of Ireland map would be ideal, as I intent to cycle from top to bottom next year.

Thanks, Just need to see if I need an Ireland or UK map for Northern Ireland now. An Island of Ireland map would be ideal, as I intent to cycle from top to bottom next year.
Last time I needed to use the Irish ordnance survey to the detail of finding the exact location of a four path to go mountaineering, I found them to be a little less exact that the uk os ones to the point that a power station was more than a mile out of place on the map. B by the time we had sorted out the problem and located the unsigned footpath it was too late in the day to do the planned walk (it was winter with very limited daylight hours)... They may be better now... :biggrin:

Cringles

That's why I was opting for a GPS haha. Even using google maps for some routes, there's so many sacred roads in this country! I was once pushing my bike up a weird path, thinking it was just a farmers land. I came out the other side at Dundrum castle. Definitely a massive surprise, but pretty sure that path is on no map.

andym

Über Member
1:25,000 and 1:50,000 maps are great, but for cycle touring probably 1:200,000 maps represent the best trade-off between detail, coverage and weight (although if you're on a day-ride or short tour, 1:50,000 maps are ideal). The usefulness of particular scales also depends a lot on the density of the road network - if you plan on travelling somewhere with a dense road network then a more detailed map is a good idea.

Of course if you have a GPS then you can have all the maps you want and zoom in to get the extra detail if you need it. It's still a good idea to carry a traditional map as it's much easier to get an overview with a traditional map than to scroll around on a little screen.

When it comes to reading the map it's worth looking out for certain information: scenic roads, major roads, chevrons that indicate the steepness of a hill, and (if you are going to somewhere with big hills the altitude of mountain passes etc). Contour lines are also useful.

If you do get a GPS and you use it for autorouting always check whether what it is telling you makes sense.

Zofo58

I use the Garmin Montana for hillwalking, motorcycle touring and cycling. I've purchased the OS mapping for Ireland and Northern Ireland and Garmin Mapping for Europe. I found it a bit complicated with all the different modes in the beginning, but it works really well for all these activities. I put it in the map sleeve on my handlebar bag. You can connect a HRM but it does not record the readings.

Top Bottom