Garmin Edge Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
I am finding the updated software on my GET to be a lot better. It has behaved well recently doing pretty much what i would have hoped for. I still struggle to understand why Garmin cannot write a decent set of instructions.

Binka

Über Member
Has anyone worked out how to get total miles travelled into one of the display data fields?

I currently have mph in one and direction in the other. I'd like to get rid of direction and have distance travelled instead.

Peteaud

Veteran
Has anyone worked out how to get total miles travelled into one of the display data fields?

I currently have mph in one and direction in the other. I'd like to get rid of direction and have distance travelled instead.
Settings, trip, timer.

Select field to change

go through and select optiion

press tick

web_champ

The postcode facility is there but is oddly implemented (perhaps for licencing reasons?). You must have the Garmin Geocode map enabled to use the facility (or even to see the option).

Navigate to => Addresses
Country = UK
Enter City/Postal Code

...enter first part of the code
...select the number from second part from the list that appears
...enter the house number
...enter street name

Bingo!

The Garmin instructions really are rubbish.
Hi. I get to Addresses OK, then the next screen is "In what state or province is the address?
Enter state/province.

I am in the UK....any advice please?

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Just picked up on this thread folks and many thanks for lots of hints an' tips.
Bought a GET a couple of weeks back. I DO like it but having quite few teething problems.
Do you find more difficulties if you use ridewithgps rather than Garmin Connect? Had loads of issues today, especially stopping the turn by turn instructions. I knew where I was but could have been problematic in a strange area.

e-rider

crappy member
I have an Edge Touring question - I realized today (to my disappointment) that I can only save two courses onto my Edge touring at any one time - is this correct? It didn't seem to matter how long the courses were, just two were allowed. If I tried to save three courses it would delete one. Surely this can't be right?

wintergreen

I have an Edge Touring question - I realized today (to my disappointment) that I can only save two courses onto my Edge touring at any one time - is this correct? It didn't seem to matter how long the courses were, just two were allowed. If I tried to save three courses it would delete one. Surely this can't be right?
That doesn't sound right at all. I have around dozen courses on mine and that's after I have deleted some.

my garmin edges went through something similar back in September.... I could only get 6 courses on to the edge 200 and 9 onto the edge 500... 2 weeks later and both let me happily save more to them!
I think it could have been a cable issue. Both will charge with a non Garmin cable but only the edge 500 will connect to the PC 'properly' in data mode with a non-garmin cable. I have switched back to using only a garmin cable and both are happy again (at the moment)... go figure!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thanks very much to all those adding ongoing reviews/experiences, they're really helpful.

Thinking along these lines too, with beeps and snazzy road layout to look at. The GET seems to do this at a price point I can justify. My only issue is I may need to get a new laptop/ android device with USB to transfer routes to the Garmin and read data from rides. Apparently it's not compatible with me iPad. Bloody Apple/Garmin!

I am doing exactly the same thing. I pads are useless as far as i am concerned. I have just ordered a new Samsung Galaxy 7 for use with my GET and for touring.

OP
OP
Somebuddy

Somebuddy

Über Member
For those pondering about a Garmin Edge Touring. I was out with some guys from CC Eccose and was told that Halfords were doing them with an out front cycle mount and a protective case for £180. So I took a look online and for some unknown reason, I got a big discount on top of that - £161.99. Reserved it at a store in Edinburgh as I was travelling through to Edn Bicycle Coop to trial a Koga Miyata.......... I digress. Just now I tried again online to see if it was a flook.
It has gone up in price by £9, but is still showing discount of £19 which makes it £170.99. Now I need to reread all 6 pages here to find any tips on its use.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
For those pondering about a Garmin Edge Touring. I was out with some guys from CC Eccose and was told that Halfords were doing them with an out front cycle mount and a protective case for £180. So I took a look online and for some unknown reason, I got a big discount on top of that - £161.99. Reserved it at a store in Edinburgh as I was travelling through to Edn Bicycle Coop to trial a Koga Miyata.......... I digress. Just now I tried again online to see if it was a flook.
It has gone up in price by £9, but is still showing discount of £19 which makes it £170.99. Now I need to reread all 6 pages here to find any tips on its use.
There's a 10% discount at Halfords this weekend. If you want one, buy it quick.

e-rider

crappy member
That doesn't sound right at all. I have around dozen courses on mine and that's after I have deleted some.
it appears that many people have this same problem after checking other forums, but I found a fix, or at least someone else did and it works for me:
so it appears that if you make several courses in a short space of time and in one session on Garmin connect they will not all load up, but courses created on separate days or at least in different sessions will all load up - this sounds like a software bug that has been about for a long time and Garmin has done little about it - funny that not everyone seems to suffer from it. Anyway, hopefully this info will help someone else who encounters this problem

Top Bottom