Garmin Edge Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Slightly off topic, I have a Garmin Dakota 20 and I have found that the best option for cycle navigation is to use the 'avoid highways' setting. This helped prevent it taking me on busy A roads.

Dakota 20 ftw. It might have a crappy bike mount but I loves mine I do.

Peteaud

Veteran
Would like to get a GET, but me thinks the issues are making it no better than my old and trusty 205.

fixedfixer

Veteran
@Pikey I've had my Dakota 20 for a while. I'm using the GB os maps for walking and the open source for biking. It is great for following a track but I don't trust it to do routing.

Pikey

@Pikey I've had my Dakota 20 for a while. I'm using the GB os maps for walking and the open source for biking. It is great for following a track but I don't trust it to do routing.
Yes I use the open maps for biking, no probs there!
Tbh I generally do all of the route planning at home on the computer then just put it on the D20.

Have used the routing on the unit once or twice by dropping a pin and routing to it, that worked ok.

If the GET took aa batteries, I might be tempted.

Pikey

Yes I use the open maps for biking, no probs there!
Tbh I generally do all of the route planning at home on the computer then just put it on the D20.

Have used the routing on the unit once or twice by dropping a pin and routing to it, that worked ok.

If the GET took aa batteries, I might be tempted.

RedRider

Pulling through
Do the Garmin Tourer maps know about NCN routes or do you have to plot them in?
They're not on the machine already but if you look at a website like ridewithgps for example, you'll find other people have already plotted/uploaded NCN routes/rides and you can easily download them to your device using a USB attachment.

Danny

Legendary Member
They're not on the machine already but if you look at a website like ridewithgps for example, you'll find other people have already plotted/uploaded NCN routes/rides and you can easily download them to your device using a USB attachment.
Thanks.

Peteaud

Veteran
Halfords have the GET for £179.99 as a bundle deal.

GET with an out front mount, the normal mounts and a case.

so mine is now charging :hyper:

My trusty old 205 will be used by Mrs Aud, or if the GET screws up by me again.

time will see.

Peteaud

Veteran
one thing i didnt get was the auto zoom in at junctions

Garmin-Edge-Touring-Courses-2.jpg

Is this a setting?

RedRider

Pulling through
one thing i didnt get was the auto zoom in at junctions

Garmin-Edge-Touring-Courses-2.jpg

Is this a setting?
Press the 'tools' icon on the home screen, press 'trip pages', press 'map' and you'll see an 'auto zoom' on/off option.

I have to say, the whole set-up isn't very intuitive. i've been using the GET for two weeks - my first experience of satnav/GPS - and it's taking a while but gradually, slowly, it's revealing itself as a great bit of kit. There's been a few frustrating moments tho!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I am sorely tempted by one of these. One worry I have is the run time of 15 hours. Some of my days rides are up to 13 hours but I guess you stop it at cafes or other stops to save power?

As the battery gets older I wonder if it will still last a full day.

Peteaud

Veteran
Press the 'tools' icon on the home screen, press 'trip pages', press 'map' and you'll see an 'auto zoom' on/off option.

I have to say, the whole set-up isn't very intuitive. i've been using the GET for two weeks - my first experience of satnav/GPS - and it's taking a while but gradually, slowly, it's revealing itself as a great bit of kit. There's been a few frustrating moments tho!

Its set to on.

did the route with RWGPS and saved as a TCX file and all is well as i get the bottom of the screen turn right, turn left etc, ive got the dist to go set as well but it does not zoom in.

It might be as ive done the route with a non garmin application.

Top Bottom