Garmin Edge Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Binka

Über Member
I've just ordered one.

Most of the niggles people seem to have with it concern the "take me to" function as many say the route it plots can be obscure. Ive no interest in that function. I want to be able to map a route online, transfer it to the device and then have the device navigate me round the route.

I've currently got an old etrex legend. Which does do that, but no map, no beeps before the turn and is the most un user friendly interface I've come across. I'm hoping the edge touring will be simpler to use.

G3CWI

Veteran
I checked the route that the GET took me on yesterday. It used two unpaved paths. Sure enough on the OSM website they were not classified. I corrected them (quick and easy). The next map update will be right.

G3CWI

Veteran
The only disadvantage that I have noticed using the OSM mapping is that the elevation page no longer appears, but that's no great shakes really.

That's odd. I'm using OSM and getting elevation data for routes. Which elevation page are you missing?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Think I'll stick with my Etrex 20 and bikehike for now. Playing with plotaroute.com for automated circular route planning though it is too soon to tell if I will stick with it.

G3CWI

Veteran
GET Route.jpg

Used the GET A to B routing today on my commute. I realise that readers may not know Macclesfield but even so, they may spot a slight oddity with the route. The sad thing was that the calculated route was not even nice. I am at a loss to understand the choice and equally at a loss to understand why I cycled it ;)

Attachments

• GET Route.jpg
    GET Route.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 38

wintergreen

View attachment 40123

Used the GET A to B routing today on my commute. I realise that readers may not know Macclesfield but even so, they may spot a slight oddity with the route. The sad thing was that the calculated route was not even nice. I am at a loss to understand the choice and equally at a loss to understand why I cycled it ;)

I can only guess thats why they call it an Edge Touring. Big emphasis on the touring :laugh:.

RedRider

Pulling through
Thanks very much to all those adding ongoing reviews/experiences, they're really helpful.
I've just ordered one.

Most of the niggles people seem to have with it concern the "take me to" function as many say the route it plots can be obscure. Ive no interest in that function. I want to be able to map a route online, transfer it to the device and then have the device navigate me round the route.

I've currently got an old etrex legend. Which does do that, but no map, no beeps before the turn and is the most un user friendly interface I've come across. I'm hoping the edge touring will be simpler to use.
Thinking along these lines too, with beeps and snazzy road layout to look at. The GET seems to do this at a price point I can justify. My only issue is I may need to get a new laptop/ android device with USB to transfer routes to the Garmin and read data from rides. Apparently it's not compatible with me iPad. Bloody Apple/Garmin!

AlanW

Guru
That's odd. I'm using OSM and getting elevation data for routes. Which elevation page are you missing?

The coloured page that up dates as you ride. You normally have three mains screens, the map showing, the timer page showing and the green coloured elevation data. When I'm using OSM maps that third page does not show? Perhaps I need to "enable" one of the other mapping pages in order to get it to view?

G3CWI

Veteran
Not content with the GET's magical mystery tour on the way to work (not to be repeated) I planned my own route home. Garmin Connect crashed on my work PC so I used Bikeroute Toaster. That worked really well although the map base is not as good as Google Maps for showing cycling options. I cycled the route home (via a long detour) easily. The user interface is slightly different in this mode and some different bleeps were emitted when I strayed. In this mode your progress is recorded which gave rise to some new messages regarding auto-pause. It was a success though.

Once home I planned a more interesting route using Google maps on Gamin Connect. I can't see how to reverse a course on the GET though so I had to store the route twice in opposite directions. I imagine I have missed the reverse option somewhere?

More reports to follow.

AlanW

Guru
Ahh, not seen them. I don't record my route on the GET so I guess they don't appear for me. Sorry I cant help on that one.

Ignore me, I'm talking bollocks as I had the elevation function disabled in the main menu! :shy: I have just tried it with it now enabled and it works fine with OSM as well as the OE cycle mapping.....doh!:cry:

G3CWI

Veteran
Designed a new route to work, ported it to the GET and rode it today. Some observations:

I have now turned off the off the prompt for recalculate function and have just set it to off. It was going off too frequently when I was just a few metres to the side of the planned route. The GET positioning is good enough for it to realise that you are not using a shared pavement path on the other side of the road.

It plays a little tune when you finish your route.

Binka

Über Member
Mine Edge Tour has arrived. Am slightly stuck though.

I've got a gpx file on my laptop, plugged the Garmin into the laptop. Right clicked on the gpx file on the laptop and went to "send to" in the list of options it said Garmin Edge Tour so I selected that. Got a little bar wizz along on the screen and then it said it was sent.

Gant find it on the device though. Where should it be? I've gone into courses and it says there's no saved courses. Have tried exporting the files again via Garmin Basecamp and it says those files already exist.

Last edited:

wintergreen

Mine Edge Tour has arrived. Am slightly stuck though.

I've got a gpx file on my laptop, plugged the Garmin into the laptop. Right clicked on the gpx file on the laptop and went to "send to" in the list of options it said Garmin Edge Tour so I selected that. Got a little bar wizz along on the screen and then it said it was sent.

Gant find it on the device though. Where should it be? I've gone into courses and it says there's no saved courses. Have tried exporting the files again via Garmin Basecamp and it says those files already exist.

If you are using windows. Open the Garmin from my computer and then open the Garmin folder. You should see a folder named "new files" drag and drop (or copy paste) your .gpx file into there.

Binka

Über Member
Just tried that WinterGreen. I get a bar saying "moving to garmin", then a message saying 100% complete but I can't find it on my garmin.

Edit - scrap that, it's appeared now. Thanks.

Top Bottom