Garmin Edge Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Binka

Über Member
Just done my first ride using it and I'm impressed so far.

Gt the gpx file for the route I'd pre-mapped on it. Selected it and off I went. I ride a recumbent trike and had the device by my feet at the end of the trike. I could still see it well enough to see my speed. It was a bit harder to see the map but as you get to a junction the unit beeps at you to give you a heads up, it also automatically zooms in at this point and then I could see it fine. I might look at trying to attach it to my mirror stem. Perfect navigation the whole way. I actually turned back early as the wind was killing me. Wasn't sure what the unit would do but as I was button pressing I found an option for "return to start". So selected that and was then given the option of returning via the way I'd come or the most direct route.

G3CWI

Veteran
A new observation>

There are no audible turn alerts when following a downloaded course in 3D mapping mode . Also the screen "light-up" mode seems to be on more so I'm guessing that the battery will flatten faster.

I have yet to discover how to reverse a course. Any suggestions?

I've just ordered one so this thread is invaluable. I'm sure I'll be doing my very level best to keep it going with a barrage of "how to's". Also using it in a few weeks for a small tour so I'll let everybody know how it does.

G3CWI

Veteran
Did a longer ride with the GET yesterday. Some oddities noted.

I downloaded a route and put it on the GET. All was well at the beginning but halfway through it somehow did not notice that I had made the required turn. It continued to show the course but stopped further navigation. I stopped the GET and reloaded the course but it refused to let me start the course halfway through. Annoying.

On the way back I needed to get a move on to catch a train. At this point I wanted the GET to plan a fast route. Of course it kept planning scenic routes which was tiresome (physically and mentally). I decided to ignore it and follow the road signs for a while after which I recalculated the route. That work okay.

On the way back it did not record my journey for some reason - probably my fault. I thought that when I selected RIDE it would also start the logging but it didn't on the occasion.

Overall it was pretty successful. It followed the downloaded course and gave clear instructions. I did miss a couple of turns but it was immediately obvious - which is all I could ask really.

Binka

Über Member
G3CWI, I had the same this weekend where it didnt register I'd made a turn. I carried on which was ok as I knew the route. Screen was saying something like " travelling west along x road" but made no attempt to navigate.

After about ten minutes it seemed to work out what was happening and started navigating again.

G3CWI

Veteran
After about ten minutes it seemed to work out what was happening and started navigating again.

I will try to be more patient next time.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Slightly off topic, I have a Garmin Dakota 20 and I have found that the best option for cycle navigation is to use the 'avoid highways' setting. This helped prevent it taking me on busy A roads.

Binka

Über Member
Right, well its been really annoying me today. Plotted a route on MapmyRide and sent it to the unit. Set off and all was good. Got to a junction which wasn't a road. Couldn't go down it. Now that's not the Garmin's fault as I'd plotted the route. I kind of knew the area so went a different way. Garmin just says "off course" and kind of goes into sleep mode with a dark screen. I got back on the route but the Garmin didn't seem to realise. I had to stop my ride and save it. Then go back to saved routes and select the route - it then started ok from where I was.

2 miles down the road and I know I need to go straight on. Garmin wants me to turn left, go 5m do a u turn and come back down the road I'm on. So I ignore Garmin (again this wasn't the units fault), but I'd assume once I was back on course it would pick it up again - it didn't.

Another mile down the road and I'm lost. The route I've plotted again isn't a road but a farm track behind a locked gate. So I ask the Garmin to take me back to my home address. It still wanted to go down this farm track which isn't a public right of way. Maybe it shares the same mapping software as MapMyRide? I tried all sorts but could not get it to plot me a route home which actually went on public roads. If I hadn't known the area I'd have been stuffed.

It was so annoyed that I wasn't going the route it had selected for me it kept switching itself off on the way home.

It seems to work ok if you stick 100% to the route you've inputted put otherwise it has a bit of a meltdown.

Just used mine in anger for the first time.I loaded the route from Gateshead to kirkby Stephen had to restart it 3 times throughout the day. Rerouting is a joke so turned that off. If you leave the route for a second it flips out even if you rejoin sometimes it just won't play anymore. I've been arguing with it all day cos it's been telling me to make a u turn even when I'm clearly on the route. Thank God the w2w is well signposted. I've changed a few things and I'll give it another go tomorrow.

wintergreen

I have never had any problems with it flipping out when I have gone off route, it recalculated and adjusted things to get me back onto the set route without any moaning.
Although I have yet to try it with the recent firmware update, maybe I will find things have changed and not for the better.

I have never had any problems with it flipping out when I have gone off route, it recalculated and adjusted things to get me back onto the set route without any moaning.
Although I have yet to try it with the recent firmware update, maybe I will find things have changed and not for the better.
There may be an element of stupidity on my behalf. I neglected to mention that! It has been very odd at times though. As I came out of Bowes clearly on the correct route it just kept telling me to do a u turn for miles. Did the same on the way up to tan hill and there was only one route. I have the latest firmware on it.

Had a great day with it today until I stopped for a coffee. It lost the plot a bit telling me I was off course then I was to continue to main street for about 10 mile then it rectified itself in the most obscure of places! It was however still following the route the whole while. All in all it did a pretty good job today. I disabled the city navigator map I have and used the OSM that was pre installed. I reckon it likes that better.

Top Bottom