Garmin Edge Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
yes me to, my ride buddy just splashed out on the 810 , but he is almost £400 lighter :eek::eek::eek:
finding it hard to justify that sort of money

Same here, in fact there is no way i am shelling out that much.

Edge 705 are still selling for silly money so the Touring seemed the answer, but so many of the reviews are negative.

That and my old 205 and simple plans always works.

G3CWI

Veteran
Touring seemed the answer, but so many of the reviews are negative.

Today was the first outing with the GET. I set it to plan a circular route of 30 miles length. It quickly planned three - with varying degrees of ascent. I selected the one with 671m ascent plonked the GET on the bike and set off. I did not check the route in any way so I took the hybrid - just in case. The GET package from Halfords comes with two mounts - handy if N>1 and N<3 (which it is in my case). Unlike the "out of box" impression, the on-bike experience was very much better. The GET has lots of nice touches. Two types of warning bleeps alert you to turns - one at a distance and the other much closer. The screen also brightens and zooms in automatically when a turn is nearby - nice. The GET comes with four mapping layers [Standard basemap, cycle map, Edge DEM map, Garmin Geocode map], I turned off all but the Cycle Map layer. I also de-cluttered the screen by disabling the elapsed time/speed function (these are always too depressing in any case).

The route started very well and it soon became clear that the GET works hard to find a quiet route - not necessarily a direct route. This is fine but is a different paradigm to a car satnav (did I really just use the word paradigm? Pat on back). The planned route was very ingenious and it showed me a new way to get to the Peak that I would never have thought of.

In most cases the turns were obvious on the screen although occasionally the auto zoom was slightly confusing. However it takes just a tap to revert to the normal display.

All went well until I missed a turn (my mistake). As I was on a circular route I wondered what the GET would do. In fact it appeared to plan an alternative that was still 30 miles long. Although it did this, the alternative was out and back along the same route rather than the more interesting original. I wondered if it would try to get me back on the original route but it didn't. I had recalculation set to automatic but for me I think manual/prompted would be a better option.

On the way back I deliberately ignored the GET and it appeared to be trying to route me to ensure that I did my full 30 miles. After 10 minutes of being ignored it said it was switching off - and did so. It must be female... The planned route was entirely on paved roads - the unit had been set to avoid unpaved roads and "narrow trails" whatever they are.

Overall I was actually quite impressed. It worked as I hoped and it did a great job. I can see it being a lot of fun this summer.

PS part of my problem trying the unit out at home was that as a default it automatically switches to night mode. This makes everything look very odd (in the light). Once I realised this and switched it to day mode, it was easier to use.

UPDATE:
1) On closer examination I see that the Halfords pack has 3 mounts - not 2 (does this mean that I need another bike?).
2) I have removed my Satmap mounts from both bikes and installed the Garmin mounts - which may indicate satisfaction!

Last edited:

wintergreen

I have been using the Garmin Edge Touring for a couple of months now.Its the first satnav I have owned so have nothing to compaire it with.
I have found it to be excellent when using pre planned routes which I have prepared on my computer beforehand mostly using http://cycle.travel/ which of all the routing sites I looked at seemed the easiest to use.
The directions displayed on the satnav screen are clear and easy to follow. Warning beeps let you know when you are approaching a turn and if the turn is missed the unit quickly recalculates and gets you back on track. The first couple of times I used it I plotted routs I already knew but deliberately took shortcuts/detours to see how it would respond and it did the job admirably. It was quick to recalculate the best way to get me back onto the planned route with no fuss.
As G3CWI mentioned the screen has a daytime and nighttime mode. A couple of days ago I was out on a longer ride and as it started to get dark it automaticy changed from daytime to nighttime modes which I wasnt expecting but was a nice touch
Where I have found the Edge Touring lacking is the lack of postcode search. In the options it lets you plot a route by post code but I just cant get it to work and the instructions are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.Its not really a problem but it would be a nice feature to have. (this is probably down to user error).
I am also a little dubious of its routing when left to its own devices. I said earlier the first couple of times I used it I followed routes I already knew to see how it handled detours. Once I got to my destination rather than return along the route I had planned, I told it to take me to my "home" which I had saved in destinations. It got me there but in a strange roundabout way that added maybe 3 miles to a 9 mile journey.
Overall I am happy with the Edge Touring as I will only be using it for longer rides where I dont know the route, therefore I will be planning the route on the computer before setting off. I think it will be a very usefull and positive addition this summer once I start camping again, although I will either need to buy a battery pack or convince myself its time to upgrade my front wheel to a dynamo hub so it can be charged on the move.

Peteaud

Veteran
Today was the first outing with the GET. I set it to plan a circular route of 30 miles length. It quickly planned three - with varying degrees of ascent. I selected the one with 671m ascent plonked the GET on the bike and set off. I did not check the route in any way so I took the hybrid - just in case. The GET package from Halfords comes with two mounts - handy if N>1 and N<3 (which it is in my case). Unlike the "out of box" impression, the on-bike experience was very much better. The GET has lots of nice touches. Two types of warning bleeps alert you to turns - one at a distance and the other much closer. The screen also brightens and zooms in automatically when a turn is nearby - nice. The GET comes with four mapping layers [Standard basemap, cycle map, Edge DEM map, Garmin Geocode map], I turned off all but the Cycle Map layer. I also de-cluttered the screen by disabling the elapsed time/speed function (these are always too depressing in any case).

The route started very well and it soon became clear that the GET works hard to find a quiet route - not necessarily a direct route. This is fine but is a different paradigm to a car satnav (did I really just use the word paradigm? Pat on back). The planned route was very ingenious and it showed me a new way to get to the Peak that I would never have thought of.

In most cases the turns were obvious on the screen although occasionally the auto zoom was slightly confusing. However it takes just a tap to revert to the normal display.

All went well until I missed a turn (my mistake). As I was on a circular route I wondered what the GET would do. In fact it appeared to plan an alternative that was still 30 miles long. Although it did this, the alternative was out and back along the same route rather than the more interesting original. I wondered if it would try to get me back on the original route but it didn't. I had recalculation set to automatic but for me I think manual/prompted would be a better option.

On the way back I deliberately ignored the GET and it appeared to be trying to route me to ensure that I did my full 30 miles. After 10 minutes of being ignored it said it was switching off - and did so. It must be female... The planned route was entirely on paved roads - the unit had been set to avoid unpaved roads and "narrow trails" whatever they are.

Overall I was actually quite impressed. It worked as I hoped and it did a great job. I can see it being a lot of fun this summer.

PS part of my problem trying the unit out at home was that as a default it automatically switches to night mode. This makes everything look very odd (in the light). Once I realised this and switched it to day mode, it was easier to use.

UPDATE:
1) On closer examination I see that the Halfords pack has 3 mounts - not 2 (does this mean that I need another bike?).
2) I have removed my Satmap mounts from both bikes and installed the Garmin mounts - which may indicate satisfaction!
I have been using the Garmin Edge Touring for a couple of months now.Its the first satnav I have owned so have nothing to compaire it with.
I have found it to be excellent when using pre planned routes which I have prepared on my computer beforehand mostly using http://cycle.travel/ which of all the routing sites I looked at seemed the easiest to use.
The directions displayed on the satnav screen are clear and easy to follow. Warning beeps let you know when you are approaching a turn and if the turn is missed the unit quickly recalculates and gets you back on track. The first couple of times I used it I plotted routs I already knew but deliberately took shortcuts/detours to see how it would respond and it did the job admirably. It was quick to recalculate the best way to get me back onto the planned route with no fuss.
As G3CWI mentioned the screen has a daytime and nighttime mode. A couple of days ago I was out on a longer ride and as it started to get dark it automaticy changed from daytime to nighttime modes which I wasnt expecting but was a nice touch
Where I have found the Edge Touring lacking is the lack of postcode search. In the options it lets you plot a route by post code but I just cant get it to work and the instructions are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.Its not really a problem but it would be a nice feature to have. (this is probably down to user error).
I am also a little dubious of its routing when left to its own devices. I said earlier the first couple of times I used it I followed routes I already knew to see how it handled detours. Once I got to my destination rather than return along the route I had planned, I told it to take me to my "home" which I had saved in destinations. It got me there but in a strange roundabout way that added maybe 3 miles to a 9 mile journey.
Overall I am happy with the Edge Touring as I will only be using it for longer rides where I dont know the route, therefore I will be planning the route on the computer before setting off. I think it will be a very usefull and positive addition this summer once I start camping again, although I will either need to buy a battery pack or convince myself its time to upgrade my front wheel to a dynamo hub so it can be charged on the move.

Great write ups, many thanks.

I normaly plan my rides with RWGPS anyway so probably would not use the route finding option.

As i have an old 305 all i have now is a breadcrumb trail, thats why i am looking at the GET.

If you pre plan a route on any of the route makers (TCX file) does it try to re route you to the pre planned route, or default to something else?

G3CWI

Veteran
Where I have found the Edge Touring lacking is the lack of postcode search.

The postcode facility is there but is oddly implemented (perhaps for licencing reasons?). You must have the Garmin Geocode map enabled to use the facility (or even to see the option).

Navigate to => Addresses
Country = UK
Enter City/Postal Code

...enter first part of the code
...select the number from second part from the list that appears
...enter the house number
...enter street name

Bingo!

The Garmin instructions really are rubbish.

Last edited:

wintergreen

The postcode facility is there but is oddly implemented (perhaps for licencing reasons?). You must have the Garmin Geocode map enabled to use the facility (or even to see the option).

Navigate to => Addresses
Country = UK
Enter City/Postal Code

...enter first part of the code
...select the number from second part from the list that appears
...enter the house number
...enter street name

Bingo!

The Garmin instructions really are rubbish.

Thanks for that. I will give it a try and see if I can master it.
I dont understand why Garmin dont give a detailed instruction manual with the unit instead of dropping a few hints and leaving people to find out for themselves what it can do.

wintergreen

Great write ups, many thanks.

I normaly plan my rides with RWGPS anyway so probably would not use the route finding option.

As i have an old 305 all i have now is a breadcrumb trail, thats why i am looking at the GET.

If you pre plan a route on any of the route makers (TCX file) does it try to re route you to the pre planned route, or default to something else?

I have been planning routes on the computer. When I have gone off route it has flashed up a warning telling me I am off route and then recalculated to get me back onto the route which I had planned on the computer.

G3CWI

Veteran
I have been planning routes on the computer. When I have gone off route it has flashed up a warning telling me I am off route and then recalculated to get me back onto the route which I had planned on the computer.

It's a clever device. It's so poorly described in the manual that much of its cleverness is not apparent to the purchaser. What an odd way to sell products.

G3CWI

Veteran
Met up with a mate for our normal Sunday run. We let the GET decide on the route. It selected a cracker including some sections that were new to both of us. Selecting the "prompt before re-routing" option was a great success (see earlier comments). It was all very easy carefree cycling.

Some oddities noted:

Despite having selected paved roads only there were a couple of off-road sectors. No problem on road bikes but off-road non-the-less.
Our meeting spot is by a main road and the routes the GET planned were totally different when starting locations either side of the road were used. It was as though it did not want us to cross the main road. Very odd.

My mate was sufficiently impressed that his last comment was that he was going to buy a GET.

wintergreen

It's a clever device. It's so poorly described in the manual that much of its cleverness is not apparent to the purchaser. What an odd way to sell products.

I tried the postcode search again today using your instructions and sure enough it worked. Many thanks for helping with that. Its a very usefull feature to have. :thumbsup:

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Iv had one for about 6 weeks and I do really like it, although I haven't bothered to customise the screen to my personal liking (if you can even do that on the touring? )
Can anyone tell me if your average speed is available to view on the touring?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Iv had one for about 6 weeks and I do really like it, although I haven't bothered to customise the screen to my personal liking (if you can even do that on the touring? )
Can anyone tell me if your average speed is available to view on the touring?
I'm an Edge 705 owner, but not that different....in your options settings you'll have one that lets you change the data field settings for each page- how many items, and what they display.
Frank Kinlan's excellent FAQ for the 800 (same software in most respect) will set you right http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-edge-800/dummies-guide-to-the-garmin-edge-800/

AlanW

Guru
Taking into consideration that I already use the Edge 200, a Etrex HCx and a Oregon 450 its fair to say that I have a good understanding of Garmin GPS units. But I'll admit to being somewhat disappointed with my (6 week old) Touring Plus. The main and sole reason that I purchased this gps unit was the wonderful idea of the "Round Routing" function, however in the real world this function is rubbish IMHO! Unless of course you like doing figure of eight loops and going over the same roads a number of times in one ride just to make the miles up. To me a round route is exactly that, a route that starts at point A, does a circular route of x miles and then returns you back to point A and not zig zaging all over the shop just for the hell of it.

To make matters worse the OE cycle mapping is an absolute nightmare, but I have since loaded OSM maps onto the same SD card and disabled the other mapping other than the base map. Its much better, in saying that it still has its moments, but still much better than the OE cycle mapping IMHO.

It would also have been beneficial to be able to view the various "round route" options prior to riding them, but this isn't possible. Yes, you can zoom out to see a small scale map of the proposed route, but not in enough detail to fully understand where it is proposing to send you. You cannot download them either, or at least not until you have ridden them, which is a bit late then really?

On the plus side (no pun intended) the loading of pre planned .gpx files is very quick and easy and will then follow the route giving you turn by turn directions etc. TIP - disable the auto recalculation and also the auto zoom functions. I have mine set at around 0.2 miles and I leave it at that.

The "Take Me To" function is also pretty rubbish when using the OE cycle mapping as it defaults to trying to find specific cycle lanes and cycle tracks, often trying to take you miles out of your way to locate one. Once again its much better with the OSM maps loaded, but rather oddly it is still very insistent and you taking U turns?

The only disadvantage that I have noticed using the OSM mapping is that the elevation page no longer appears, but that's no great shakes really. To make matters worse, with current deals on the 800 at the moment making it near enough the same price as the Touring Plus, I wished that I had bought one of those now.

Top Bottom