Garmin Edge Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
Can't argue with an etrex for an occasional bike user especially at that price but it's a bit of a brick size wise and connectivity is pretty much nill.
Each to there own

I think you'll find that there are a lot of long-distance cyclists using eTrex gpses - people with lots of experience both of cycle touring and using gpses.

If you want the training/performance monitoring features of the 800-series gpses then the extra expense is probably worthwhile, but for *touring* they don't (SFAIK) offer you any more than you'd get with an eTrex.

The eTrex is certainly chunkier than the Touring models - but I'd guess that most of most of the extra bulk/weight is due to the AA batteries. So the choice boils down to a smaller svelte package which you can recharge with a power pack - vs the ability to simply pop in another set of batteries (or worst case, go into a shop and buy some non-rechargeable ones) if you run out of power. A 17-hour battery capacity is fine for day rides, but for touring it falls awkwardly short of two days riding.

Connettivity almost nil? Well if USB counts as almost nil. OK wifi would nice, if you are touring with an iOS device but the Edge Tourings don't seem to have it either.

If I didn't already have a gps I'd look long and hard at the new Touring models, but if you already have a reasonably current gps it's probably not going to be a huge leap forward - but we'll see

OP
OP
Somebuddy

Somebuddy

Über Member
Andym, Thanks very much. You've just saved me £200. :sad:

andym

Über Member
Andym, Thanks very much. You've just saved me £200. :sad:

... and I was convinced you were going to buy one whatever anyone said.

For anyone who's interested (but be warned this is a bit gps-anorak-techno-geeky) I came across this tutorial on setting up POIs with a proximity alert (ie an elert that sounds/appears whenever you get close to a POI. So you could create a set of POIs for important junctions. He even explains how to set up a custom audio alert (although I don't know whether it works with all models). Something to while away long winter evenings.

beeblemaster

Über Member
I got one, I just had to. ^_^ So far so good.

I went out on my lunchtime circuit (in the evening) on Thursday and halfway through I let it navigate me back home and did so successfully. I was riding in the dark, but it beeps to let you know there's a turn ahead and the unit illuminates to show you the turn, and when the turn is imminent beeps twice showing you again the path to take - and is very clear. It did try taking me on an off road trail which I didn't want to go, but re-calculated automatically when I ignored the instruction. A change in settings should prevent that from happening and keep me on (my preference) tarmac.

I had a play setting up some A to B routes and I thought it's a little slow at calculating comparing to a standard car GPS, but I guess there are bigger calculations to do than a standard car navigator as it does seem to prefer keeping you off the big A roads. :thumbsup: Plus it also gives you the elevation profile.

I transferred some of my favourite rides (activities) from my Edge 200 to the Touring, and these have successfully saved over, and can view them and they've also mapped correctly, it seems.

Unfortunately the weather hasn't been on my side, as I was hoping to let it navigate me around a 50 mile route today (pre-planned from GarminConnect). Time will tell, but as I say so far, I'm impressed.

Comes with SD card containing Europe mapping, 2x mounts, spare o-rings, USB cable. The owners manual is a bit of a half-hearted effort, and you figure out more yourself. Fully supported by GarminConnect (as it should), but not yet supported by Strava, but easy enough to upload the .fit file in the meantime.

It probably wouldn't appeal to anyone with an 800+ or equivalent, but seems a worthy upgrade from a 200.

andym

Über Member
It's interesting that you can plot a route with an elevation profile on the device. That seems like a big step forward - especially if they are using OSM mapping.

beeblemaster

Über Member
Could you post some pics of the unit. Great write up :-)

Thanks, hope it's useful. Time will tell. I can't really add any pics that would be more beneficial to those on dcrainmaker, they are accurate. ;)

One thing I will add, I was quite surprised how after an hour of use, the battery was down to 90%, which all things being equal suggests battery lasting 10 hours max. Probably gets better with use after a few discharge/re-charge cycles, however I did a search comparing the 800/810's battery usage and it seems the 800/810 (which is apparently same hardware), uses more battery if you're riding with the map showing at all times. It makes sense I suppose, if it's constantly re-drawing maps. If you leave it on the data screen instead, this consumes less battery power. I'm assuming that while navigating and while on the data grid screen, when a turn comes up it will alert.... I'll have to see.

Moda

I was really worried about battery life with the 810 especially as I was using the cadence/speed and HR functionality with the map screen almost always on. I got a solid 2 days riding out of it before I felt I HAD to recharge. I think that the 17hrs Garmin quote is optimistic but 13/14hrs would be more realistic.
Obviously YMMV ;)

RedRider

Pulling through
I got one, I just had to. ^_^ So far so good.

I went out on my lunchtime circuit (in the evening) on Thursday and halfway through I let it navigate me back home and did so successfully. I was riding in the dark, but it beeps to let you know there's a turn ahead and the unit illuminates to show you the turn, and when the turn is imminent beeps twice showing you again the path to take - and is very clear. It did try taking me on an off road trail which I didn't want to go, but re-calculated automatically when I ignored the instruction. A change in settings should prevent that from happening and keep me on (my preference) tarmac.

I had a play setting up some A to B routes and I thought it's a little slow at calculating comparing to a standard car GPS, but I guess there are bigger calculations to do than a standard car navigator as it does seem to prefer keeping you off the big A roads. :thumbsup: Plus it also gives you the elevation profile.

I transferred some of my favourite rides (activities) from my Edge 200 to the Touring, and these have successfully saved over, and can view them and they've also mapped correctly, it seems.

Unfortunately the weather hasn't been on my side, as I was hoping to let it navigate me around a 50 mile route today (pre-planned from GarminConnect). Time will tell, but as I say so far, I'm impressed.

Comes with SD card containing Europe mapping, 2x mounts, spare o-rings, USB cable. The owners manual is a bit of a half-hearted effort, and you figure out more yourself. Fully supported by GarminConnect (as it should), but not yet supported by Strava, but easy enough to upload the .fit file in the meantime.

It probably wouldn't appeal to anyone with an 800+ or equivalent, but seems a worthy upgrade from a 200.
I'm looking buying my first gps and was wondering how you're both finding the garmin touring. Is it coming up to scratch/expectation? Any niggles? Cheers

G3CWI

Veteran
I'm looking buying my first gps and was wondering how you're both finding the garmin touring. Is it coming up to scratch/expectation? Any niggles? Cheers

First impressions of mine are only so-so. The manual is poor and does not really explain some of the options. For example it has three planning modes: cycling, cycle touring and mtb. Exactly how it handles each is not stated. It also has options to avoid narrow paths or unpaved tracks. Narrow paths are undefined so I don't know if I want to avoid them.

Getting it to plan a few local journeys gave some weird routes. The shortest route between my house and office is 1.5 miles on normal roads but the Garmins best shot is over six miles : mostly in the wrong direction. I can only assume this is down to some local errors in the map base.

I have not taken it out for a spin yet but will do is and report back.

maltloaf

I'm just about to upgrade my Garmin 510 to a 810 because I'm wanting some mapping and guidance now that I'm doing some longer rides. I must admit considering the touring plus but decided against because my cadence sensor wouldn't work.
Just looking around for some decent deals, but for anyone interested, pbk are doing 15% off at the moment with code SATNAV15

Peteaud

Veteran
First impressions of mine are only so-so. The manual is poor and does not really explain some of the options. For example it has three planning modes: cycling, cycle touring and mtb. Exactly how it handles each is not stated. It also has options to avoid narrow paths or unpaved tracks. Narrow paths are undefined so I don't know if I want to avoid them.

Getting it to plan a few local journeys gave some weird routes. The shortest route between my house and office is 1.5 miles on normal roads but the Garmins best shot is over six miles : mostly in the wrong direction. I can only assume this is down to some local errors in the map base.

I have not taken it out for a spin yet but will do is and report back.

I have been looking at these but the negatives seem to outweight the positives.

Let us know how you get on.

Kies

yes me to, my ride buddy just splashed out on the 810 , but he is almost £400 lighter :eek::eek::eek:
finding it hard to justify that sort of money

Top Bottom