Garmin Edge Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its set to on.

did the route with RWGPS and saved as a TCX file and all is well as i get the bottom of the screen turn right, turn left etc, ive got the dist to go set as well but it does not zoom in.

It might be as ive done the route with a non garmin application.

Nah it's not that I used mine while I was away last week and plotted all the routes using RWGPS as TCX files. I was getting the zoom function most of the time, but not all of the time mind! It looks very much like the GET is a constant learning curve. I also found that 15 hrs may be a little generous as it looked pretty low after about 7 hrs to me!
I'd like to know. When stopping for a while can you switch it off and go back to the ride where you left off? ie still recording the data. I was keeping it running while getting a coffee cos I was scared I was going to lose everything.

Peteaud

Veteran
Nah it's not that I used mine while I was away last week and plotted all the routes using RWGPS as TCX files. I was getting the zoom function most of the time, but not all of the time mind! It looks very much like the GET is a constant learning curve. I also found that 15 hrs may be a little generous as it looked pretty low after about 7 hrs to me!
I'd like to know. When stopping for a while can you switch it off and go back to the ride where you left off? ie still recording the data. I was keeping it running while getting a coffee cos I was scared I was going to lose everything.

I think if you turn it off then you would need to restart the timer and then get separate rides logged.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I am sorely tempted by one of these. One worry I have is the run time of 15 hours. Some of my days rides are up to 13 hours but I guess you stop it at cafes or other stops to save power?

As the battery gets older I wonder if it will still last a full day.
It can be charged as it runs- on rides of that length I use a USB battery pack with my 705 to make sure it'll last, particularly as backlight/mapping/switching between screens/low temperatures all take their toll. The battery is replaceable, new ones are widely available- not quite as straightforward as on a 705 but still looks pretty easy to do.

StuAff

I think if you turn it off then you would need to restart the timer and then get separate rides logged.
If it's like the 705, and I have no reason to assume it isn't, shutting down with a ride recording live preserves your data but will start a new lap.

StuAff

If you re start it, would it not screw up the navigation as the start point is already passed?
Nope. If you're following a track or route, the pink line trail will be alive and kicking when you power up again. Powering the Edge on/off and resetting are distinctly different. Remember that 'laps' as far as the machine is concerned are just parts of a ride, they don't relate to physical location in any way. I know of people who've had the auto lap function set to every mile....

Nope. If you're following a track or route, the pink line trail will be alive and kicking when you power up again. Powering the Edge on/off and resetting are distinctly different. Remember that 'laps' as far as the machine is concerned are just parts of a ride, they don't relate to physical location in any way. I know of people who've had the auto lap function set to every mile....

So all that said it would still be recording from where it left off? ie stop and turn off half way through a 70 mile route then turn back on again to complete the last half. Does it then show total time etc for the full 70 mile?

StuAff

So all that said it would still be recording from where it left off? ie stop and turn off half way through a 70 mile route then turn back on again to complete the last half. Does it then show total time etc for the full 70 mile?
Yes, it does indeed.
To reinforce the point, this was one recording, not multiple rides stitched together, and the Edge was powered down two or three times....

Top Bottom