Garmin Etrex 30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I echo the above comment about cheap ebay copies - they won't hold the unit securely.

Never had a prob with the genuine ones. Even when hacked to make an out-front mount...

_GRF2265_zpshmndcchv.jpg

That's bloomin gorgeous! How?

D

Deleted member 23692

That's bloomin gorgeous! How?
Cheers :smile:

It's just a K-Edge Garmin edge mount with an Gamrin eTrex mount modified to fit... that's just a case of reducing the depth and corners to fit in the circular recess of the K-edge. The bolt is a stantard ¼" Tripod thread - on a couple of bikes I've got a Garmin Virb tripod mount on the underside to clamp everything together, but on the road bike there's just a nut. The MK2 version has a couple of extra grub screws to stop the mount rotating on the single bolt.

As there were countless prototypes before I arrived at the final version, I'm not sure on the exact process/order of things without disassembling it. If anyone is interested I'll take one apart and attempt a knock together a 'how to'.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I use a RAM mount for mine..
I do a bit of geocaching on some of my runs and having the Etrex on the handlebars and the warning beep is more than handy.
Talkytoaster Look and Feel maps used here..

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
Its arrived! Looks brand new, downloaded manual and going to have a play later, any tips hint more than welcome ta

D

Deleted member 23692

First thing I recommend doing is going through main menu screen and dumping all the obvious ones that you'll never use - items like man overboard, hunt and fish, photo viewer etc, etc. It just makes it so much easier to use

Mines currently down to 10 items for the original 27.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
dumping all the obvious ones that you'll never use - items like man overboard, hunt and fish, photo viewer etc, etc. It just makes it so much easier to use

Unless you're riding to the lake to go fishing where you see a fellow fisherman fall off his boat into the water and need a photo as evidence :tongue:

iandg

Legendary Member
First thing I recommend doing is going through main menu screen and dumping all the obvious ones that you'll never use - items like man overboard, hunt and fish, photo viewer etc, etc. It just makes it so much easier to use

Thanks. Hadn't considered that - makes a lot of sense :thumbsup:

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
Help, been on Francis site. Cant find anything help me out , set settings as per his settings advice. My map looks nowt like his , lots of detail missing

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
I have 3 maps , all enabled .Worldwide DEM basemap. NR. OSM streetmap andd digital globe DEMO.JNX edit its the etrex 20

Last edited:

LetMeEatCake

As you probably know, you need to install maps to the device - either free or paid for. Of your 3 maps, it sounds like the OSM one is the only one that will have any useful detail (the basemap's just a vague overview of the world - very little detail at all; the digital globe is a demo of Garmin's "BirdsEye" stuff - I think it's just the Eiffel Tower). Did you add the OSM one, or was it there already? It's possible that it's not a map of the area you're in so you're just seeing the basemap.

It's worth installing Garmin's BaseCamp software (free) and connecting your Garmin to your PC - should let you see more easily what's installed and what it's for. If you do need a new map, the aukadia site has notes on getting OSM files onto your eTrex: http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lwg_32.htm

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
As you probably know, you need to install maps to the device - either free or paid for. Of your 3 maps, it sounds like the OSM one is the only one that will have any useful detail (the basemap's just a vague overview of the world - very little detail at all; the digital globe is a demo of Garmin's "BirdsEye" stuff - I think it's just the Eiffel Tower). Did you add the OSM one, or was it there already? It's possible that it's not a map of the area you're in so you're just seeing the basemap.

It's worth installing Garmin's BaseCamp software (free) and connecting your Garmin to your PC - should let you see more easily what's installed and what it's for. If you do need a new map, the aukadia site has notes on getting OSM files onto your eTrex: http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lwg_32.htm

Hi yeah the osm was there already , I disabled the other 2 and now have no map at all . Ill get and SD card at the weekend and down load A UK map to it . Cheers for your help much appreciated, methinks Im gonna need more before the weekend is out !

D

Deleted member 23692

I've just bought an eTrex 35 Touch for a bargain price of £150 because the owner couldn't fathom it out.

It comes preloaded with a hell of a lot of junk which I'm trying to dump/disable... god knows how many geocaches and different maps which I can't see me ever using, along with several 'profile' screens which I really can't see the point of. There is the option to use 'classic view'.. but that defeats the point of getting a newer one.

I'll have to see how I get on, but in the near future there might be either an eTrex 20 or 35 for sale

Top Bottom