Garmin Go-Pro Killer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
built-in Wi-Fi, accelerometer, altimeter and, of course, GPS) can manage 1080p resolution video (at 30fps, unless you go 720p at 60fps) with image stabilisation and lens distortion correction. It can also manage 16-megapixel stills, burst shots, time lapse, and will even shoot photos while recording video.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/123002-garmin-virb-action-camera-wants-to-take-on-gopro

Go pro are going to have to up their game

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I liked the comment regarding battery life. I'll be watching developments for this camera with much interest :smile:.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Seeing as GoPro dont have GPS in any of their devices, I am surprised that they are comparing the two. Wouldnt the closest competitor be the Contour GPS?

It simply means Gopro need to up there game as mentioned if the market responds well to the idea of an added GPS for less than the GoPro black. With the GoPro being more in price if the Garmin can match camera quality GoPro is in some hot water.
That being said, this new camera is late to the market and its possible most people have already went with other cameras.
Contour is the middle ground in action cameras. This Garmin camera is not aiming for the middle ground but the high end which GoPro has the biggest hold.
I think one of the biggest pros of this camera is its tube shaped. Its not a block like the GoPro which already just on design shape gives it a overwhelming advantage. I would see the market responding to this very well and knocking the GoPro off its podium.
TBH this camera has a lot over the Gopro, not just the GPS and shape.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I really like the ability to overlay the GPS data, you can see it in some of the Videos... If its as good as the specification looks I will sell my go pro back and get one, the ability to preview footage is a big one for me as is the battery life.

BSRU

A Human Being
Seeing as GoPro dont have GPS in any of their devices, I am surprised that they are comparing the two. Wouldnt the closest competitor be the Contour GPS?
Contour has gone out of business, as the owner of Contour Plus the GPS was never as accurate as my Garmin 500 or 800.

Reactions: gaz

BSRU

A Human Being
The GoPro 4 is allegedly out soon as well.
The main thing to consider are mounting options, battery life and at this time of year, as dawn arrives later and later,low light performance,

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I hope GoPro consider battery life in the Hero 4, then, instead of aiming for more resolution, frame-rate etc. at the expense of battery life. If they don't, I won't be buying another GoPro.

I'm wondering how the light sensitivity is for this Garmin VIRB (not mentioned in any web page I could find for this camera). That's definitely one of the best features of the GoPro Hero 3, and one of the main reasons I bought one.

BSRU

A Human Being
I hope GoPro consider battery life in the Hero 4, then, instead of aiming for more resolution, frame-rate etc. at the expense of battery life. If they don't, I won't be buying another GoPro.

I'm wondering how the light sensitivity is for this Garmin VIRB (not mentioned in any web page I could find for this camera). That's definitely one of the best features of the GoPro Hero 3, and one of the main reasons I bought one.
Low light performance is improved by using a back lit sensor, the only one using such a sensor, at the moment, is the Sony.
So far very little information on the sensor being used by Garmin.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
So which camera has got best low light capabilities? Both of my Contour's are okay but only pick out the street lights and car lights, even though the road might be lit a little.
For example; Here is a snapshot from my Contour ROAM 2 from last night:
Snapshot221-08-201311-55_zpsdd8ad855.png

And here is a snapshot from my Contour HD from the start of the year:
Snapshot321-08-201311-57_zps81d33351.png

Top Bottom