Garmin maps.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Has anyone downloaded the more detailed maps for there Garmin devices . I've a 520 and you need to delete the maps That's on it and replace them with the new downloaded maps . Does it work and is it safe to do . Is it worth the hassle?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The answer to all your questions is "yes". This link provides the clearest instructions I know of.

Using this method, the area that can be covered in one go is quite limited. I've created a "local" map which I use most of the time and is enough for a typical 100+ mile ride from home. If I go a long way in any one direction, or ride in a different part of the country, I need to plan ahead or I'll find myself looking at my route against a blank background. I have about 20 downloaded maps in total, but I've probably used fewer than half of them.

When you submit a request, you're put in a queue. So far this year the turnaround has been very quick, but last year there were times when the queue was very long and it took several days to get my map.

There is a possible alternative. Some technical whizz on "another forum" posted a link to a stripped-down version covering the whole of Great Britain which is still small enough to fit on a 520. This was created for the benefit of people doing LEL, and I grabbed it while I had the chance. It does work, and clearly there could be times when it's extremely useful, but on balance I prefer to see the detail which the well-known downloadable maps have. I'm not sure if that link still exists.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Thanks Aravis . I've already downloaded and saved the maps I wanted to my computer . Just didn't want to try and send them to the Garmin and mess the unit up Before asking on the forum if it's safe to do.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Cripes, what a palaver. None of this with a garmin Etrex 20. Can hold as many maps as I need, no need to beg Garmin for them. Free from OSM/openfietsmap.
I can't disagree with that! But on the other side of the coin, the 520 is compact, relatively inexpensive, the battery lasts all day and it appears bombproof. A workable if idiosyncratic procedure for getting the map you need on it is a small price to pay. It only takes a few minutes, and it soon becomes a standard part of preparing for a ride.

This is the link for the full Great Britain map I mentioned:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/29h68q80fkewv62/AAAAbleSX0W-83mS6-IAaCyga?dl=0

It works, though it's not as pretty to look at as the usual OSM maps. But it would be really useful for anyone who wants to do something like LEJOG with a 520, when it's not convenient to be swapping map files in and out.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Cripes, what a palaver. None of this with a garmin Etrex 20. Can hold as many maps as I need, no need to beg Garmin for them. Free from OSM/openfietsmap.
Same here: I downloaded the map areas I needed from openfietsmap, and used them for my 2 Alps/Pyrénées cycling trips (last year and the one before), and they worked fine. I used them for road rides, though, so didn't need any great detail.

What's the problem you've had with

http://www.openfietsmap.nl/

ffoeg?

I have always found it pretty straightforward and the short help files clear enough.

Their versions of OSM aren't updated that much (once or twice a year) but I can live with that. And in any case I want to cycle rather than computer fiddle every few weeks. I've done some long trips on them - all worked well.

edit - have used talkytoaster in the past but stopped - can't remember why.

Will check out your other one.

Last edited:
Same here: I downloaded the map areas I needed from openfietsmap, and used them for my 2 Alps/Pyrénées cycling trips (last year and the one before), and they worked fine. I used them for road rides, though, so didn't need any great detail.
I have used them offroad as well a fair bit. You'd be surprised where those OSM nerds get to :smile:

Top Bottom