Garmin or Bryton? That is the question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got a Bryton 35 last wk, and if I stop for length of time, we are talking less than 8 mins as far as I know, for some reason it completely loses altitude. gps track is spot on though.

That sounds about right, all devices should be funny about altitude as they use barometric altitude sensors. I'm not sure how the Garmin behaves, but even they give some rather crappy altitude readings (there's a completely flat Cat 4 on Strava in my village created by a Garmin). There are no good GPS units on altitude due to the way the technology works, even the best handheld hiking ones need very regular calibration at a known height.

karl61

hi, does the bryton do turn by turn navigation, as i'm planning lejog next year?all my longer rides so far have been done with maps , plot and cut out routine, did a 150 miler with this method a few years back but an alternative would be nice.........safe cycling all.

Recently got myself a Garmin 800, great bit of kit and so easy to upload to connect / strava. Considered a Bryton but decided to go for the more proven unit myself....
I have an 800 too, why do you use strava instead of the garmins own site, what does it do that garmins doesn't?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I have an 800 too, why do you use strava instead of the garmins own site, what does it do that garmins doesn't?
Segments? Easy comparison of your rides and times with other people? Connect doesn't have the same level of social features- yes, you can tweet/facebook post/otherwise link to your data, but not much more. Strava also has the advantage of being able to freely share rides without (thanks to the location hiding features) revealing your home/office location and telling the tea leaves where your bike (etc) is. I use both, and Dailymile. They've all got pros and cons.

hi, does the bryton do turn by turn navigation, as i'm planning lejog next year?all my longer rides so far have been done with maps , plot and cut out routine, did a 150 miler with this method a few years back but an alternative would be nice.........safe cycling all.

In a word, Yes

StuAff

It came with them, at least at launch. Bryton are now selling 'HD Maps' with more detail and including one region with purchases.

Mike!

Guru

I use both sites, connect more for my record keeping and strava for segment comparison (although have gotten a little bored of that!) and as has been mentioned the sharing / privacy features

StuAff

Just about to buy the 800 but is it so much better than the 705 to warrant the extra 100 odd quid?
As with so many things, opinions vary somewhat on that. I'm happy enough with my 705, though I wish it used AA batteries as the life on mine (exchanged under warranty last year so not that well-used) seems a bit low these days (it might just be me though). The 800 is no better in that respect, of course, and nor has the battery life gone up. Frank Kinlan says on his rather excellent blog (covering amongst other things tips and hints on both) that though the 705 is still a good device, 'you don't downgrade to Windows 95'. I suggest you read up on reviews of both- and plenty of riders have used both, that should help.

Segments? Easy comparison of your rides and times with other people? Connect doesn't have the same level of social features- yes, you can tweet/facebook post/otherwise link to your data, but not much more. Strava also has the advantage of being able to freely share rides without (thanks to the location hiding features) revealing your home/office location and telling the tea leaves where your bike (etc) is. I use both, and Dailymile. They've all got pros and cons.
Thanks for that, just joined strava and uploaded my rides. The segments thing is brilliant! Opened up a whole new world, loads of segments in my area that I ride regularly and didn't know about

Berties

Fast and careful!
Bryton ride 40 for me,hrm works well and cadence works with giants system,never missed a beat,and bryton bridge does me proud,I wish I had got a mapping one as more rides think everyone has the capability to upload routes,so not having to sign routes so much,but as a good meter it gets my vote

Downward

Guru
The Bryton Rider 50 can be found for £180 now. Is this worth £40 more than a Garmin 500 ? It seems to have a nicer clearer colour display and maps and I can't see apart from Garmin being favourites why I shouldn't buy one ??

I can't seem to see the 40e and whether it has the Virtual partner type thing which is the key aspect of buying a GPS

Top Bottom