Garmin or Bryton? That is the question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I still reckon a iPhone or Android phone with a decent waterproof case, external power source (dynamo and/or rechargable battery) plus Viewranger would be more versatile, at least on the mapping front, though won't have the heart rate monitor/cadence stuff, if that's your thing. But then I use it more for touring than monitoring performance.
Look at what your saying here, A 500 will easily last 12 hours (though it supposed to be 18 just depends how its set up), a single unit on your bar or stem which is water proof, just one piece of kit compared with spare batteries waterproof case, and remember this I have dropped mine on flag stones and it bounced, I would really like to see that happen with an iphone. Yo can get H.R. and cad for iphones.

It all depends what you want out of a gps unit, I use mine to compare my performance and my h.r. over time, If you plan a route a the breadcrumb trial usually works fine, using the right software for the mapping it will give turn by turn, if you go off course just turn round till you pick it up again.
I just have speed, cad, h.r. avg speed, distance, time elapsed or any combination of data that I need for the ride I am doing, mapping doesn't really come into it these days as I know most roads around here, which covers well over 150sq miles, (unless ill and I end up on the A1, even then I just ride till I come a across somewhere I know).
I'm not so sure about that - a smartphone will usually acquire a GPS lock quicker (and can use WiFi/3G to help with this),
This can cause problems with recording times and positional errors, and should in fact be turned off for recording gps tracks to avoid errors.
An old saying comes to mind "The right tool for the job". I wouldn't use a phone for taking pictures so the same is true about gps.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Look at what your saying here, A 500 will easily last 12 hours (though it supposed to be 18 just depends how its set up), a single unit on your bar or stem which is water proof, just one piece of kit compared with spare batteries waterproof case, and remember this I have dropped mine on flag stones and it bounced, I would really like to see that happen with an iphone. .

Done that more than one with my iPhone 5 in it's Lifeproof case and it bounced, no damage to iPhone :-)

As Nigelnaturist said, though, depends what you want it for. I want GPS for mapping on multi-day tours without access to mains charging, and don't care about training aids etc., and for that it's worked perfectly.

I forgot mention also (I don't know how phone apps work with this) dedicated gps units have workouts i.e. to keep in H.R. zone or maintain a particular cadence, they are bike specific (though could double for walking/running performance) so unless you intended to use these features a Garmin 200 would suffice as this as the breadcrumb trial though not the h.r. or cad/speed, while I am at it a speed sensor will also do away with erroneous max speeds on strava, if I just use the gps to record speed data it still gives the odd max speed as sometime gps data points can jump a little and it doesnt take much for one of these to give an incorrect speed, and to a lesser degree incorrect segment times (though this is less common), I did have some when I used the phone last Aug and only now am I getting to those speeds.
The Bryton 20 doesn't have any sort of mapping but does have h.r. cad/sp.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You still get these on Garmins.

You will not eliminate the issue completely, but with dedicated devices like the Garmin devices, the issue is not as evident.

Ben M

You still get these on Garmins.

You do, but you will find that devices like Garmins log data with a higher frequency, and do not depend on telephone signal to function.

Like I said in my first post, the two systems just aren't comparable. The only advantage of using a phone is that it is a device which many people already own: so it works out cheaper.

oxford_guy

Über Member
You do, but you will find that devices like Garmins log data with a higher frequency, and do not depend on telephone signal to function.

Like I said in my first post, the two systems just aren't comparable. The only advantage of using a phone is that it is a device which many people already own: so it works out cheaper.

Depending on your device, the screen is often better on a Smartphone - I've compared the Garmin 800 and iPhone 5 screens and the latter wins hands-down, I also prefer the map interface with Viewranger than with the Garmin 800.

oxford_guy

Über Member

I've never had a problem with GPS accuracy (or not to any degree that mattered) when using my iPhone for cycle touring in remote Scottish islands with no phone signal...

I have a Sony Ericsson xPeria Neo V which has Ant+ integrated.
It works quite well as cycling computer, but I have found quite a variance in speed data etc.
It pairs very easily with cadence/HR but is unusable in bright daylight, like most phones, unless they have AMOLED screens which can still be a pain to see.

You will not eliminate the issue completely, but with dedicated devices like the Garmin devices, the issue is not as evident.
I agree Rob, I am just pointing out it happens, especially if there isn't a speed sensor fitted, fit a speed sensor it just about eliminates it, though from cold it can take a while to get a good signal.
I've never had a problem with GPS accuracy (or not to any degree that mattered) when using my iPhone for cycle touring in remote Scottish islands with no phone signal...
Do you actually need gps on the islands, my experience when I lived on Skye, was basically from the town/village you are in pick up the road you need and don't deviate unless another road sign says otherwise.
Depending on your device, the screen is often better on a Smartphone - I've compared the Garmin 800 and iPhone 5 screens and the latter wins hands-down, I also prefer the map interface with Viewranger than with the Garmin 800.
Depends how they are set up, the 500 and I presume the 800 have what is called a smart recording which will only record on a change be it direction, speed, cadence, h.r ect.. you get the idea, or every second.

Top Bottom