Garmin or IPhone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

So just really got into road cycling and wanted something to measure Time,Speed,Distanice,Average speed etc. Don‘t really need maps or anything fancy.

I was looking at used Garmin on eBay and then got to thinking about my IPhone X and an app?

I have a basic cat eye velo just now but was wanting something with a better layout.

I‘m not looking to spend hundreds on something just something for the basic info.

What would you all recommend , I’d also be looking for a mount if using phone.

Thanks.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Another bike computer?

This Cateye one looks like a fairly clean layout.

Daninplymouth

Newer iPhones aren’t good if you use them with quadlock or similar mounts, the vibrations over time kill the sensors so you’ll end up with a busted camera

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Interesting.

Any suggestions on a decent computer that will suit my needs and budget?

Happy to buy used. Maybe £50-£70 or is not realistic for that money

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
depends
halfords have the edge 130 new atm for £99, be aware that older models eg the 200.500 an 800 dont have bluetooth to share data to garmin connect or strava so you would need a windows laptop to access them

I got a garmin edge 25. They have three bits of data per screen which are programmable to a certain amount. Small and decent performance. Got mine for £45!!! Aldi sold them did £75 when in got one., it failed so I took it back. Got my money back then walked out with one they'd n heavily discounted to £45. Once something in a centre aisle sale has been sold out, if they find any in a stores clear out they then knock a third off the already bargain price.

They go n for £75 last time I looked. 25 takes sensors.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I got a garmin edge 25. They have three bits of data per screen which are programmable to a certain amount. Small and decent performance. Got mine for £45!!! Aldi sold them did £75 when in got one., it failed so I took it back. Got my money back then walked out with one they'd n heavily discounted to £45. Once something in a centre aisle sale has been sold out, if they find any in a stores clear out they then knock a third off the already bargain price.

They go n for £75 last time I looked. 25 takes sensors.
nice i only haha have an old 800 and the new edge exlpore but would like a basic one for commuting as they are a bit overkill for that

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My Garmin Edge 1000 is my cycling computer. It is waterproof, has buttons that work when wet, has good battery life (with the screen continuously on), has a screen that works well under glare conditions and works offline. On ocasiones when doing a new ride I also use it as a SatNav. My iPhone is kept charged and in my pocket. It works well for making phone calls (if need be) and on ocasiones I link it to my Garmin so Mrs JtB can track my ride real-time if she wants. For reasons I don’t understand though she doesn’t find the prospect of watching my ride unfold real-time particularly exciting and always finds other things to do. :scratch:

Top Bottom