Garmin or IPhone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I decided to take a quick look at these Wahoo devices everyone’s talking about and at first glance they look rather impressive and well priced compared to Garmin. I myself have a Garmin Edge 1000 but I’d not buy another. Within a few years the power button stopped working and it seems this is quite a common problem.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/dead-garmin-1000.235502/

Since it would have been rather expensive to return the device for repair (or replace) then I carried out a simple repair myself.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/garmin-edge-1000-repair-service.276708/post-6453495

This is the first Garmin device I’ve ever owned and Garmin had one opportunity to convert me into a loyal customer. Unfortunately they failed so once my above repair stops working then I shall be taking a closer look at the Wahoo devices.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The 800 won’t do auto uploads if that’s a consideration. Getting long in the tooth generally now as well
I think if you're aiming at spending around £50, as the OP is, you have to accept that you will have to live without some features.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I’d go for a lesser model in that case. S/he doesn’t need navigation so there’s no need for an 800 or 1000
Personally, if shopping for a used GPS on a budget I'd go for an Garmin* Etrex or GPSMap model, rather than an Edge. They're not bike specific but as they are AA powered there's no risk of buying one with a dud battery, and they still have plenty of features.

*Other manufacturers are available.

vickster

Legendary Member
OP wants.. Time, Speed, Distance, Average speed etc. Don‘t really need maps or anything fancy.

Don't Lezyne do more basic machines but more than an Cateye?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OP wants.. Time, Speed, Distance, Average speed etc. Don‘t really need maps or anything fancy.

Don't Lezyne do more basic machines but more than an Cateye?
I don't know about other manufacturers but an Etrex would do all that and they are cheap as chips second hand. But are a bit uncool.

mpemburn

I had a simple CatEye for a couple of years, and would run Strava on my phone. When the CatEye died, I decided to get a Garmin, and went with the Edge 130. I'm entirely satisfied with this unit! It's pretty simplistic compared with the bigger units: black and white screen vs. color (though highly readable), buttons instead of touch screen, but it totally does the job. Small and light, can display up to five stats at once.

The unit I bought is not the Edge 130 Plus, but the Plus only differs in that it has a built in accelerometer and some additional metrics. I purchased it from grooves.land about a year and a half ago and it only cost me USD170 including a heart rate monitor and shipping from Germany to US.

Porknz

Advice that made the most sense to me before I bought my edge 530, was that one drop from my bike, or my bike tipping over on a hard surface, or a minor crash etc., might mean the end of a 1k phone. It made much more sense at that point to spend a few hundred on a garmin, that was made to be in situations where a bike could tip over, or crash, and be out in weather etc.

Top Bottom