Dead Garmin 1000

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by mangid, 12 Jun 2018.

Tags:
  1. mangid

mangid Veteran

So my Garmin 1000 had finally died. The power button started coming away maybe 3 months ago. I taped over it to stop water ingress, but looks like it wasn't good enough. The unit has always been housed in the silicone cover, not sure why it failed, it's only 4 years old. It does get a fair bit of used, twice a day every day.

So, do I go 1030, or Elemnt, will I be kicking myself in a months time when some new super duper unit comes out ?

20180612_083033.jpg

2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

If you liked the unit and it worked for you. Contact Garmin customer services to see what they say. They may offer you a reconditioned unit or a fix.
    I had a button fail on an Edge 200. Took it to one of those mobile phone fixer shops and they replaced the button. Took all of 5 minutes. The buttons in the 200 are the same as in some mobile phones so may be the same for the 1000.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  3. DCBassman

DCBassman Veteran

+1 for the phone shop idea, well worth asking.

4. You now have the perfect excuse to buy a Wahoo Bolt. They are brilliant.

derrick and Heltor Chasca like this.
  5. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Not So Special One

I would contact Garmin their customer service is pretty good, as a goodwill gesture they may sort it for you.

6. Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

Just use a nail to turn it on :okay:

7. HarryTheDog

HarryTheDog Veteran

If its out of warranty contact Garmin, send it in and they will replace it with a shiny brand new one for about 80 quid ( mine was over a year ago) . The good thing is if this replacement then cocks up in the next year you get a replacement for free. I am on my 3rd and only paid for 1 replacement.

albal likes this.
  8. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Silicone and stick the button back on ?

9. RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

Just incase anyone didnt notice... the title says it died. No amount of phoneshopbuttonsticking will bring it back to life.

On a side note. evanscycles have £50 cashback on wahoo bundles so it might be something you'd be interested in.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  10. albal

albal Veteran

Interesting. Mine suffered same issue, today. Same model and always used a silicone cover. Also same age.How did you sort it in the end? I'll likely contact garmin to fix/replace at a cost.

Attached Files:

11. albal

albal Veteran

Got through to Garmin support, they have a fixed cost replacement for out of warranty devices. £195.60. Looks like the phone repair shop then. ;(

HLaB likes this.
  12. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

+1 for a tactical Wahoo pincer movement. Garmin are their own victims of evolution. Only the strong survive.

13. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

Crikey. That's a bit more than I would have imagined.

They only charged £77.36 for replacement of my out of warranty Oregon 2 years ago. (I was replacing it as a result of damage that was 100% my own fault)

I realise the pound has gone into freefall since then but all the same ...

Last edited: 6 Jun 2019
  14. OP
    OP
    mangid

mangid Veteran

I declined the replacement, and survived by covering it with Gorilla tape, which got me thru to last month. It was becoming more of a phaff to keep everything lined up and working, and the battery was barely recording a 100 mile ride .....

Just bought a shiny new 830, which has a physical button for the power now ....

albal, Dogtrousers and HLaB like this.
  15. They've changed that :-( Mine flew off the bars two years ago and was crushed by traffic and they only charged that. Then last year on the LEJOG mine failed the same way as Mangid's they charged me circa £200 :-/

Dogtrousers likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice