Dead Garmin 1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangid

Guru
So my Garmin 1000 had finally died. The power button started coming away maybe 3 months ago. I taped over it to stop water ingress, but looks like it wasn't good enough. The unit has always been housed in the silicone cover, not sure why it failed, it's only 4 years old. It does get a fair bit of used, twice a day every day.

So, do I go 1030, or Elemnt, will I be kicking myself in a months time when some new super duper unit comes out ?

20180612_083033.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you liked the unit and it worked for you. Contact Garmin customer services to see what they say. They may offer you a reconditioned unit or a fix.
I had a button fail on an Edge 200. Took it to one of those mobile phone fixer shops and they replaced the button. Took all of 5 minutes. The buttons in the 200 are the same as in some mobile phones so may be the same for the 1000.

If its out of warranty contact Garmin, send it in and they will replace it with a shiny brand new one for about 80 quid ( mine was over a year ago) . The good thing is if this replacement then cocks up in the next year you get a replacement for free. I am on my 3rd and only paid for 1 replacement.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Just incase anyone didnt notice... the title says it died. No amount of phoneshopbuttonsticking will bring it back to life.

On a side note. evanscycles have £50 cashback on wahoo bundles so it might be something you'd be interested in.

albal

Guru
Interesting. Mine suffered same issue, today. Same model and always used a silicone cover. Also same age.How did you sort it in the end? I'll likely contact garmin to fix/replace at a cost.

Attachments

• 15598235727434362062502268068315.jpg
    15598235727434362062502268068315.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 23

albal

Guru
Got through to Garmin support, they have a fixed cost replacement for out of warranty devices. £195.60. Looks like the phone repair shop then. ;(

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Got through to Garmin support, they have a fixed cost replacement for out of warranty devices. £195.60. Looks like the phone repair shop then. ;(
Crikey. That's a bit more than I would have imagined.

They only charged £77.36 for replacement of my out of warranty Oregon 2 years ago. (I was replacing it as a result of damage that was 100% my own fault)

I realise the pound has gone into freefall since then but all the same ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
mangid

mangid

Guru
Interesting. Mine suffered same issue, today. Same model and always used a silicone cover. Also same age.How did you sort it in the end? I'll likely contact garmin to fix/replace at a cost.

I declined the replacement, and survived by covering it with Gorilla tape, which got me thru to last month. It was becoming more of a phaff to keep everything lined up and working, and the battery was barely recording a 100 mile ride .....

Just bought a shiny new 830, which has a physical button for the power now ....

Crikey. That's a bit more than I would have imagined.

They only charged £77.36 for replacement of my out of warranty Oregon 2 years ago. (I was replacing it as a result of damage that was 100% my own fault)

I realise the pound has gone into freefall since then but all the same ...
They've changed that :-( Mine flew off the bars two years ago and was crushed by traffic and they only charged that. Then last year on the LEJOG mine failed the same way as Mangid's they charged me circa £200 :-/

Top Bottom