Garmin to Strava inconsistency?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkeylc

Über Member
Hi, just noticed that my garmin data when passed over to Strava is different?
My avg speed on garmin ride is 15.1 but then when the data gets sent to Strava it says 14.9. I know it's not a big difference but why?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Algorithms.

OP
OP
monkeylc

monkeylc

Über Member
I know that there will be a difference recording a ride with garmin and then Strava. What I mean is I record a ride using garmin and then when the data is synced with garmin connect it then syncs with Strava with different avg?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I know that there will be a difference recording a ride with garmin and then Strava. What I mean is I record a ride using garmin and then when the data is synced with garmin connect it then syncs with Strava with different avg?
There is still a difference

"Garmin devices run a calculation during recording to total up your moving time, or the time you are not resting/stationary. This moving time is divided by total distance to get average speed. When your data is uploaded to Strava, a separate calculation is run based on your GPS data to determine moving time. This can be different than what your Garmin reports. If you see differences in Average Speed between Garmin and Strava, first check your stats for moving time and total distance as that should explain the differences. "

OP
OP
monkeylc

monkeylc

Über Member
There is still a difference

"Garmin devices run a calculation during recording to total up your moving time, or the time you are not resting/stationary. This moving time is divided by total distance to get average speed. When your data is uploaded to Strava, a separate calculation is run based on your GPS data to determine moving time. This can be different than what your Garmin reports. If you see differences in Average Speed between Garmin and Strava, first check your stats for moving time and total distance as that should explain the differences. "

Makes sense now..... Cheers

bpsmith

Veteran
I have just checked my rides from this year. Garmin App and Strava App match exactly. Average speed is literally to a 100th of a mph. I assume that it depends on the device being used?

Top Bottom