Garmin Touring Edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im not meaning to teach people to suck eggs. But this may help some new Garmin users.

I use Plotaroute with my Garmin Touring as I find it to be an excellent route planner. Usually I plot distances of about 50km and the Garmin never lets me down.

Recently, I plotted a route of 170km in one go and downloaded it to the Garmin. I set off but did not switch the Garmin on as I knew the first 50km of the route. When I arrived in Flensburg I turned the Garmin on and the route loaded. I set off riding and almost immediately a warning came on my screen that basically said that there was not enough points on my route and although it could navigate, it would be difficult.

I have now decided that if I have a 150 km route, the best thing is to plot it into 3x50km rides.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and is there a solution except manually imputting every point.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Sounds to be potentially more of an issue with that website, rather than the garmin.

I have loaded routes up to 160 km (plotted on ridewithgps) on to my edge touring with no issue.

doog

I use bikehike which has a function to reduce the trackpoints down to any amount you choose. My Etrex will only take 250, however thats usually enough to navigate 100 to 150km before loading the next track..

I understand the edge has the facility for 1000 trackpoints so potentially you shouldnt have any issues at all over that sort of distance.

PK99

Legendary Member
Im not meaning to teach people to suck eggs. But this may help some new Garmin users.

I use Plotaroute with my Garmin Touring as I find it to be an excellent route planner. Usually I plot distances of about 50km and the Garmin never lets me down.

Recently, I plotted a route of 170km in one go and downloaded it to the Garmin. I set off but did not switch the Garmin on as I knew the first 50km of the route. When I arrived in Flensburg I turned the Garmin on and the route loaded. I set off riding and almost immediately a warning came on my screen that basically said that there was not enough points on my route and although it could navigate, it would be difficult.

I have now decided that if I have a 150 km route, the best thing is to plot it into 3x50km rides.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and is there a solution except manually imputting every point.

I've plotted 100mile routes using ridewithgps and have had no routing problems on 800 or touring.

PK99

Legendary Member
Can I download from Ride with GPS to Garmin Touring without paying the subscription?

Yep. The free option does everything I need.

To write direct you need a subscription version, I export trx to desk top and drag to Garmin "new files"

Top Bottom