Garmin UT800 review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I’m not one for writing reviews so apologies in advance.

I have struggled with finding the “right” front light for me for ages, I tried some Moon branded lights, Cateye and Lezyne but I was never happy for various reasons, poor light, awful battery life, position on the bars the list goes on.

I recently decided this autumn/winter I would spend a little more and try and find a light I was pleased with, my first plan of action was the Garmin Varia HL 500, but after seeing one it was a brick of a light, quite expensive as well.

I noticed the Garmin UT800 was about to be released and decided to give it a try, reason I wanted to try this was partly the mounting, also that it pairs with an Edge device, mine is a 520 and the speed from the computer controls the beams intensity go faster it projects the beam forward more and makes it brighter, slower and the beam is pulled back and dimmed, I believe the better devices use ambient light as well to control the beam.

It’s a little slimmer than my old Lezyne 800 (see attached pictures) the position is far better, the Lezyne was a pain for me on the bars slipping and messing with cable runs etc

Setup was easy, exchanged the old Garmin mount for the reinforced one, charged the light and paired it to my Edge all this was rather easy and straight forward, I am a serial techno-noob so this was a plus for me.

I setup the beam angle on my drive to make sure it wasn’t going to dazzle anyone beforehand as well.

I have done two dark rides now, and I’m very impressed so far, I haven’t had to re-adjust this at all, the self-adjusting beam intensity I feel is very good and very responsive, I tried slowing down and speeding up and it reacted very well to my changing speeds, the light is fantastic (see attached pic) this was an unlit road using an IP7 phone with no flash. Also I have had no cars flashing me complaining about lights etc

Also the angle I have the beam at seems ideal for obviously seeing the road ahead, but also it seems to be picking up the edges of the potholes nicely.

I was initially worried about the 1.5hr expected battery life at 800 lumen setting, but with the beam changing with the speed on a 1hr ride I used just under 25% of the battery (strava ride attached for example) also compared to my Lezyne light it’s a comparable battery life.

To sum up, this wasn’t cheap, but I don’t feel I was ripped off, I’m totally happy with this purchase I feel more secure than before riding in the dark, I feel using the better Garmin devices may further enhance this light also the touch screen devices mean if you want to force the light to a certain intensity it’s easier then pressing the button on the side of the light, I’m very impressed and happy with this purchase, and I would recommend it to others.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.strava.com_activities_1234021105&d=DwICAg&c=0s2QeJVZoDkH0rUub6UaoA&r=67SQOIRQDCf28pmxAndMtDcPnVLEVT_5mg3uSBZZaZw&m=UiyR_DWScOOkrefwc7SWIatsc6Rrqu1xM_3xcwP7j6Q&s=uYMbxg9nhCDDIqIC2sTclb_Ddjhr72DBqIKWzT6phdE&e=

Attachments

• IMG_2408.JPG
    IMG_2408.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2409.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_2410.PNG
    IMG_2410.PNG
    90.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2411.PNG
    IMG_2411.PNG
    95.1 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
+1.

No they're not cheap, but I have no hesitation in recommending this.

I don't tend to do much night time riding, but in daylight mode it's brilliant. Literally.

One feature that I have found a real benefit is riding into unlit tunnels - the light automatically switches to full beam.

AlanW

Guru
Just to add this thread, Ive had my UT800 and also the Varia 2 rear light/radar for about three months and they are used five days a week. I have to say that I am very impressed with both. In fact, when I ride my other bikes on a weekend I feel positively naked with the rear light/radar.

But its only been in the last week or so that Ive had to use the UT800 on the constant (high) beam as opposed to the day flash setting. And I have to say very impressed with the light beam pattern and also the speed related increase/decrease in the lumen output.

Still playing around with the setting for riding in the dark, but has anyone tried the "auto" mode, as Garmin recommend this for commuting? I currently have mine set as "individual" because when I ride home in the afternoon I change from the "high" setting to "day flash". Pity that its not easier to do that, as its a bit of faff having to keep going into the menu and scrolling past loads of screens

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Just to add this thread, Ive had my UT800 and also the Varia 2 rear light/radar for about three months and they are used five days a week. I have to say that I am very impressed with both. In fact, when I ride my other bikes on a weekend I feel positively naked with the rear light/radar.

But its only been in the last week or so that Ive had to use the UT800 on the constant (high) beam as opposed to the day flash setting. And I have to say very impressed with the light beam pattern and also the speed related increase/decrease in the lumen output.

Still playing around with the setting for riding in the dark, but has anyone tried the "auto" mode, as Garmin recommend this for commuting? I currently have mine set as "individual" because when I ride home in the afternoon I change from the "high" setting to "day flash". Pity that its not easier to do that, as its a bit of faff having to keep going into the menu and scrolling past loads of screens

Mines always on auto no issues with it at all, if you have a Garmin 820 or higher, mine I just tap the screen and the light options come up.

AlanW

Guru
I'm only using mine on a 520, hence why I guess I need to faff about with the menu setting. Plus, I'm guessing that the auto function will not work as well either?

Top Bottom