Garmin Varia Radar Rear Light Seat Stay Mount?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As per title. Has anyone managed to mount a Garmin Varia to a seat stay?

Please don’t bother mentioning saddle or seat post mounting options as the large Apidura saddle pack I carry negates these.

Thanks.

si_c

Guru
As per title. Has anyone managed to mount a Garmin Varia to a seat stay?

Please don’t bother mentioning saddle or seat post mounting options as the large Apidura saddle pack I carry negates these.

Thanks.

Nope, I tried, the rubber strap is far too large to wrap around.

The way I found to do it will be to get a garmin mount with a go pro fitting and then use that to fit it to a seat stay, you can get go pro mounts that would attach easily enough. I haven't got around to trying that yet though beyond looking online to makes sure that I could find the necessary parts.

si_c

Guru
If you find one let me know. I think Garmin are very remiss in providing such a small choice of mounts. I bodged one myself for the back of my rack

This is the downside of using the quarter turn mount on the rear. I think they could probably do with expanding the ecosystem a little, but to be honest I wouldn't swap the ease of removing/replacing the light for a wider range of mounts.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Would the radar even work properly if mounted significantly lower? A friend with a large saddlebag mounts his varia upside down so the light part of the unit pokes out with the body hidden behind the bag.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I wonder if it was put too far down the seatstay whether the rear wheel might cause a radar shadow and prevent vehicles being seen in certain areas?

si_c

Guru
I wonder if it was put too far down the seatstay whether the rear wheel might cause a radar shadow and prevent vehicles being seen in certain areas?

Should be fine as it can track up to 5 vehicles at a time. If your back wheel was going to cause an occlusion then the car behind you certainly would.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I rigged up a mount that sits on the back of the saddlebag, using a Garmin 1/4 turn mount and some custom laser cut parts.
It was designed to fit my road bike perfectly. It also works with my gravel bike but I do have to put the Varia on upside down.

The other option you may not have considered is putting it in a jersey pocket. As long as it's more or less vertical it still works fine (can be wedged in place with gilet/food etc.). Obviously the light won't be as bright, but the radar functionality works perfectly.

IMG_20191205_154209.jpg

IMG_20191205_154325 (1).jpg

IMG_20191205_154253 (1).jpg

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
Also have a mount fitted to the saddle bag https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/post-6544525
On the subject of putting one on the rear jersey pocket would suggest fitting a mount to an appropriate sized piece of plastic card which would then hold it an appropriate height.

I was talking about "in the pocket" not "on the pocket". But that would certainly work :okay:. On the odd occasion when I use a bike that doesn't go with my saddle-bag I just wedge it with other items I have in my pockets and it works fine. It would be rare for me to do a long ride without my saddle bag though as it has all my support gear in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom