Garmin woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Edge Touring has been playing up for the last few rides, tried following a route in Portugal a couple of weeks ago, got to one waypoint and it turned me left I assumed to go around a large sea inlet and I ended up going away from my destination. :wacko:
Tried just using the trip screen and it recorded a 32 mile ride in several bits. :cursing:

I did a factory reset and went out on Thursday just using the trip page again, downloaded the ride of 26 miles it showed an average speed of 11.7 mph with a maximum speed of 45 mph :eek: and a ride duration of 93 hours :wacko:

Just completed a "Master reset" will try a short ride tomorrow. Fingers crossed

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'd buy a map if I was you. You just unfold them and you can see the entire area.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have been using a Touring Edge for a while.

For longer Audax rides, the more experienced than me, break up long routes into bite sized chunks just in case one section gets corrupted. I am still finding out to how to do this. Good idea for touring too.

Believe it or not, the call centre in S'hampton/Portsmouth ? for Garmin is pretty good. They are used to dealing with these known issues and they don't try and gloss over it. The call centre staff that is. They sorted me be out (corrupt file). Occasionally the factory default kicks in when new software is updated so keep a record of your preferred trip pages etc.

Garmin have had a monopoly for a long time. Maybe when Wahoo starts whopping butt, they will up their game and sort these niggles out.

Last edited:
I am finding Ride with Gps is easier to use than Garmin. You can download your routes offline so you dont use data. There is a lot of other gps apps that are good Komoot is a popular one with the TCR riders.
Yep. Garmin been ebayed. Rwgps. Offline directions. Airplane mode on phone. Gets me around 4 hours. Also bought a charging case which mounts with quadlock on handlebars. Means I now get 8 hours in my iPhone. Proper map. Clear directions. Bright screen. No crashing.

Did a 3 day tour last weekend with this setup and no problems at all.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yep. Garmin been ebayed. Rwgps. Offline directions. Airplane mode on phone. Gets me around 4 hours. Also bought a charging case which mounts with quadlock on handlebars. Means I now get 8 hours in my iPhone. Proper map. Clear directions. Bright screen. No crashing.

Did a 3 day tour last weekend with this setup and no problems at all.

@Markymark

Not outside the M25, surely? :laugh:

Top Bottom