Garmin won't talk to computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I have a Garmin Edge 200, and it worked well for a while, communicating with my laptop via Garmin Express and automatically transferring things to Strava, and also using Garmin Connect to plan some routes. During this time my laptop upgraded to Windows 10. I bought a tablet, also with windows 10, and Garmin connect worked with that.

A few weeks ago I couldn't get either to communicate with the Garmin, until eventually OH produced another cable with the same ends, when it worked a treat. Problem solved, I thought - something's happened to my cable.

Then last week tried uploading a few walks with OH's cable - nothing. It wasn't just Garmin Express, but the computer was not seeing the Garmin as an external data store at all.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas before I try wrestling with whatever help/customer service system Garmin may have.

Cheers
Spinney

I have 2 Garmin 200s in the house, but only one of the USB cables works. Suspect the cable.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yup, try yet another cable.

With my 200 and Touring, they are both fussy at which cables and even which port on my laptop they are plugged into.

Fussy buggers.

Last edited:

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
It's not an uncommon problem. Had you been riding in the rain before it first happened? (I'm asking because that coincided with the start of my problems.) Mine was a Garmin 800, just out of warranty. I did resets, swopped cables etc but nothing worked for long. In my opinion the problem was with the USB port on the unit. Eventually I contacted Garmin, paid £70 over the phone, returned the unit and received a refurbished unit back within 48 hours. That one has been fine for several years now but if there is any threat of rain I wrap electrical insulation tape over the USB port cover. Good luck!

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thanks both. It now seems to be working again, but only with the alternate cable. I hadn't been riding in the rain, but I will be aware...
Bought it from John Lewis, I think, so might still have a bit of their extra year's warranty left, might get a new cable out of them, at least.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Spinney does the alternate cable have GARMIN on one of the connections. I have the same problem as you. I can download courses from the PC but cannot send courses I have ridden to the PC.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Don't think so, it was a cable OH had for charging a bike light, that just had the same end connections! (the one that works, that is)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This happens all the time. It happened to my Edge 500 recently, and I was on another thread yesterday discussing the same problem. The Garmin forums and many other places on the 'net are packed with people complaining about this issue. Somebody on CC suggested a cable swap might fix the problem for me. I had my doubts, but it worked!

U

User169

Aren't some of the later ones bluetooth? Would be a sensible move, if not.

The Edge 520 is. As soon as I finish a ride it's on my phone and then when I walk in the door it auto-transfers to strava.

Top Bottom