Gasket Sealer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Yeh it comes with experience same as everything really, I've rebuilt a fair few engines and bikes that have been stripped by others and boxed up..

Yes we still use feeler gauges, can't ever imagine they will be re-invented as long as shims are still about (koenigsegg are licensing camless heads for production cars but won't be mainstream for years).

Most cars are automatic hydraulic adjustment now, can't do that at high rpm though.

I've seen a few craftsmen use the English wheel to form curves our of flat steel and the English hammer as well, that will be a lost art soon unfortunately..

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yeh it comes with experience same as everything really, I've rebuilt a fair few engines and bikes that have been stripped by others and boxed up..

Yes we still use feeler gauges, can't ever imagine they will be re-invented as long as shims are still about (koenigsegg are licensing camless heads for production cars but won't be mainstream for years).

Most cars are automatic hydraulic adjustment now, can't do that at high rpm though.

I've seen a few craftsmen use the English wheel to form curves our of flat steel and the English hammer as well, that will be a lost art soon unfortunately..

Ah, is there an English wheel as well?

Manual panel beating hammers and dollies is about as far as we ever got.

Even they were being used less as modern, thinner sheet steel was almost impossible to knock back into shape, meaning the repair was increasingly cut the panel off and fit a new one.

keithmac

Guru
If you're into Youtube there's some great videos, one below is an English Wheel in action.

I watch a chap called Abom79, he does some amazing work on the Lathes, not everyone's cup of tea though!.

Arthur Tussik is good to watch as well, nice to see true craftsmen at work.

View: https://youtu.be/W6GTMAMUee4

Top Bottom