Gates Carbon drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
My bike has a Gates belt drive.

In principle a good idea for everyday use.

I changed the tyres the other day. Then wondered about the belt tension

Has anyone had success with the Gates frequency app?
Struggled to get a sound that the app could register.

Ended up with a sort of manual, interactive test.
Twanged it, doesn't seem too slack or too tight. Move on.

Other experience?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No direct experience, but your approach matches what I would do. I work in machine maintenance and in the absence of any direct manufacturers settings the default approach is often to mark everything with Sharpie pen lines then put it all back in the same place when you are finished. This rarely fails, unless some clueless idiot has f'd it all up before you get involved!

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
I have used it success with the app on my iPhone. You do need to be in a quiet environment, have the phone very close and give it a proper ’twang’.

It order to make puncture repairs easier I fitted a GAADI double ended inner tube in the rear.

Will persevere with the twanging.

My set up you "just" take the back wheel off. As long as you take the mudguard off, loosened the panniers. Also make sure you collect the unusually shaped lock washer things.
Oh and uncouple the two electrical connections.

Tempted by the GAADI option. But there is very little clearance. So you'd probably end up taking the wheel off anyway.
But I like the belt drive. Just miss having the derailleur options.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Thanks Regular.Cyclist for mentioning GAADI double ended inner tubes. Never knew such wonders existed. I too have a Gates belt drive which is fitted to a Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub. Last time I had a rear puncture I cycled some 4 miles on a flat tyre to get to a bike shop to fix it. I was some £50 lighter from that experience!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Another brush with Gates and their app.
Did not go well. So, I went for "that feels alright"
Need to order a very quiet spot for the next time I try it.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Well there were lots of things I needed to put off this morning.
So belt tensioning adjustment went to the top of the list. In the morning silence of the garage I had another go.
After a twanging quite a few times I got a consistent set of results. 5 successive twangs according to the app and I now have it set in the zone.
Or, as usual, am I over thinking it?

Top Bottom