Gatwick drop off - then a cycle ? Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
I’m dropping off family on Sunday afternoon so was thinking I might cycle in a part of the world never ventured previously ? Down from the Midlands- 2-3 hr max on my trusty steal stead - so near there or any points between nothing too adventurous- any thoughts help much appreciated regards and thanks in advance

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
The Surrey Hills are in easy reach so maybe a loop out to Box Hill? I’d guess that’s about a 30 mile round trip so may fit nicely into your time constraints.

Edit: I assumed you will start and finish at Gatwick. Obviously if you drive and park somewhere else (outskirts of Dorking perhaps) there are lots more Surrey options within reach, Box Hill - Leith Hill - Ranmore Common is a very popular loop. Something like this maybe?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/3383629

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Surrey Hills are alright but busy and Box Hill is over-hyped unless you like that sort of thing.
Those that like a hilly challenge could find better climbs in the North Downs and Greensand Ridge, or there's always Ditchling Beacon on the South Downs.

Or for a gentle ride through lots of farmland, woodland, a reservoir and viaduct, consider this circular route:
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1599160

I've cycled much of that over the years, but never as a circuit, so I've only just thrown that route together.
You could start from Gatwick, but the roads near the airport are busy so it would be more enjoyable to drive past Crawley and start the ride from further south. It's about 30 miles but could easily be trimmed.

The forecast is for light rain on Sunday, if that matters.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'd be tempted to head back up the M40 and stop off mid way back, rather than head south of Gatwick to have to turn back on yourself for the drive home. either just south of oxford if you want to skirt the North Downs for some climbing, or a bit north of oxford it you want it flatter. just park up in a village just off the motorway having plotted a route in advance on ridewithgps.

Surrey Hills are alright but busy and Box Hill is over-hyped unless you like that sort of thing.
Those that like a hilly challenge could find better climbs in the North Downs and Greensand Ridge, or there's always Ditchling Beacon on the South Downs.

Or for a gentle ride through lots of farmland, woodland, a reservoir and viaduct, consider this circular route:
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1599160

I've cycled much of that over the years, but never as a circuit, so I've only just thrown that route together.
You could start from Gatwick, but the roads near the airport are busy so it would be more enjoyable to drive past Crawley and start the ride from further south. It's about 30 miles but could easily be trimmed.

The forecast is for light rain on Sunday, if that matters.
That looks nice. There are definitely nice roads in most of Sussex from my experience. (I'm riding to Midhurst tomorrow!)

The attraction of the Surrey Hills is that they are easily reached from That London. And they are nice enough, plus it's quite fun for a change to go somewhere crawling with fellow 2-wheelers (even if it's just so that you can look down on "the lemmings" !)

Getting upto Ditchling Beacon would be nice, if you like "summiting", and getting a sea-view. Not the quietest road, but kinda iconic for the Southerners!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
East of Gatwick you have the Eden Valley which is pleasant and flat (Lingfield, Edenbridge, Hever) and if you fancy a climb you can go up Toys Hill or Ide Hill, where there is a nice cafe/shop and public loo (not sure of the opening state) If you want a very steep hill with a bit of cycling history there is York's Hill up to Goathurst Common, home of the Catford CC hill climb, which has a very long history.

For a very different landscape, head to the Ashdown Forest (which isn't actually a literal forest) Climb up onto the plateau and it's all gorse heathland with some nice views and plentiful car parks, some of which may have ice cream vans in them. If you want to try a stiff hill try Kidd's Hill (SW out of Coleman's Hatch)

I think my recommendation would be Ashdown Forest because the countryside is so different there.

Top Bottom