Gawn Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I went out for my first 'clipless' sprint last night and I'll admit I didn't warm up first. I found so much extra power from being able to really throw the pedals I ended up cycling further than I had planned. Good stuff eh?

Today I have a feeling, like a pulled tendon or muscle, behind my right knee. Nothing debilitating but noticeably sore.

Could this be down to the position of the cleat or did I just 'over do it'?

TY

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You could have over done it - you do have the ball of your foot directly over the axel ?

Just keep an eye on your knees whilst you get used to the pedals.

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Cheers Fossyant,

Looking at the clip position today, I think the cleat puts the ball of my foot a few mm ahead of the axle so I'll pull it back a smidge.

What should I be looking for re; my knees?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
pain behind your knees is a 'classic' sign your saddle is too high, and that your are stretching your leg to reach the pedal. Might be worth lowering your saddle.

IME cleat position doesn't cause aches and pains, just less pedaling efficiency. I position all my cleats as far forward as i can, and never a problem. There is no right or wrong way with cleats btw

stevenb

You can have knee pains caused by incorrect cleat positions. Fixed and float clipless pedals can cause probs if your cleat isn't positioned correctly......this is what I have found on my new bike.
My saddle is at the correct height for me and everything else has been set up right.
Saddle position fowards & backwards can also cause knee pains. I have been getting a twinge in my hamstring and right knee...which was also evident on my turbo trainer.
After repositioning my cleat it has now stopped. The heel of my right foot naturally comes in towards the chainstays more than my left foot does....and I had it too straight before hand so my knee was twisting slightly to compensate.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Sorry, my post was a bit too generalistic. I don't think you can get knee pain form cleats being too far forward or back.

If cleats are twisted then it will cause pain, but forward/back will only affect comfort and pedaling efficiency.

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
OK, I'm going to first lower the saddle a smidge and see what happens.
My cleats are level and put the ball of my foot right over the pedal axle and after a 10 miler the other night the tendon pain seems to have settled down.

I think it was a case of over exertion TBH.

Tynan

Veteran
pain inside or outside the knee is caused by the cleats' L/R position ime

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
TY Crackle!

Have yet to tinker as much but I've found the ache had gone after my 4th or 5th ride out.
I lowered my saddle a smidge too which might have helped with all that!

So just getting the nerve to tighten the clips right up now.
I had my first proper 'OH NO, I'm going over sideways!' wobble to the right stopping at some lights today but got unclipped just in the nick of time and made the motorists along side me laugh.
No harm done! Yet.

Check your saddle height mr drinka!

Put your crank in line with your seatpost (so it will be in a bout the 7 o clock position) and measure to the centre of your saddle (front to rear centre). That distance should be as near as damnit to 109% of your inner leg measurement

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Check your saddle height mr drinka!

Put your crank in line with your seatpost (so it will be in a bout the 7 o clock position) and measure to the centre of your saddle (front to rear centre). That distance should be as near as damnit to 109% of your inner leg measurement

Cheers JRG, I'll have a go at that in the mornin!:biggrin:

Top Bottom