Gaz down in Streatham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
thankyou. It's taken me a while to get to this, but it was worth the trawl. The law can do with the fault thing. The 'could Gaz have done anything different' bit is a different thing entirely.

Which junction was this on Gaz?
Hobart road (sp). The one opposite the ice rink or the first left after the traffic lights by the train station when travelling south.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Oh - and I've no problem with Lee's cycling. Other than when I'm chasing him down at five in the morning.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh - and I've no problem with Lee's cycling. Other than when I'm chasing him down at five in the morning.

Oh, I did say he's a good cyclist, didn't I? He's just rather more of a riskophile than Gaz, making his comments on here ill-judged and hypocritical I think.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
(Gaz will probably react to this by saying that Streathamudlians are just naturally thick, and should not be used for reproductive purposes, but, Gaz, if we are so thick, why do you traverse our fine suburb?)

And get well soon
Are Croydonians any smarter?
Unfortunately streatham neighbours the amazing Croydon. And if I want to head into central London, it is the fastest way. Otherwise I avoid at all costs :laugh:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hopton Road? Just around the corner. You should have popped in for tea.

I know this will all sound a bit far-fetched to some of you, but there is, in my opinion, a character to some roads. Whether it's because Streatham High Road is so jammed up so much of the time, or whether it is because the populace aren't that bright, or whether there are so few cyclists on the road (compared to the A24) cyclists don't seem to figure in the imagination of drivers turning right - indeed drivers, taken as a whole, seem just a few spark plugs short of a cylinder block.

Tarte Tatin was 'right-hooked' outside Norbury Station.

I genuinely do take it much, much easier along parts of Streatham High Road than I do on (say) Clapham Road.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

Out of curiosity, are motorbikes allowed to use this bus lane? I shudder to think of the consequences of the same collision occurring with a motorbike travelling at a slightly higher speed than Gaz.

And - without wishing to delve too much into stereotypes - I would echo the question raised by someone above, about what kind of licence this guy held, given his complete lack of English.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Are Croydonians any smarter?
Unfortunately streatham neighbours the amazing Croydon. And if I want to head into central London, it is the fastest way. Otherwise I avoid at all costs :laugh:
it's a close-run thing. On average I'd say that our knuckles are a little closer to the ground. And our eyebrows that little bit more mono.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Out of curiosity, are motorbikes allowed to use this bus lane? I shudder to think of the consequences of the same collision occurring with a motorbike travelling at a slightly higher speed than Gaz.

And - without wishing to delve too much into stereotypes - I would echo the question raised by someone above, about what kind of licence this guy held, given his complete lack of English.
Well, a high proportion of Streatham Vale residents have little or no English. And, since a lot of them drive mini-cabs, it may be that they have licenses.

Motorbikes are a boon on the A23 bus lane. They enable one to travel at a steady 29mph at some fifteen yards behind them. It works for me. As in it really has worked for me. Keerrrr-annngggg.

I entirely appreciate that a lot of cyclists don't want them in the bus lanes, and I'd support that entirely, but if you want to travel quickly then they offer that little bit of front-facing protection.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

What I meant was whether it is even possible to get a UK driving licence if you can't speak English? The examiner will be telling you what to do - if you can't understand him/her, it's going to be a little difficult. Ditto the theory test.

campbellab

You dont always need to requalify with a UK license, definitely not if you are european, and you can have international ones transferred?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Hopton Road? Just around the corner. You should have popped in for tea.

I know this will all sound a bit far-fetched to some of you, but there is, in my opinion, a character to some roads. Whether it's because Streatham High Road is so jammed up so much of the time, or whether it is because the populace aren't that bright, or whether there are so few cyclists on the road (compared to the A24) cyclists don't seem to figure in the imagination of drivers turning right - indeed drivers, taken as a whole, seem just a few spark plugs short of a cylinder block.

Tarte Tatin was 'right-hooked' outside Norbury Station.

I genuinely do take it much, much easier along parts of Streatham High Road than I do on (say) Clapham Road.

As you live in the area, you are clearly aware of the cycling traffic numbers through streatham. It is very low in comparison to other main roads in the surrounding area. And i think this has a big part to play in this.
As you say/do, in this area i take a little bit more ease as i know these things can happen and drivers won't think about cyclists if there isn't one wizzing past every 10 seconds. But it wasn't enough ease in this case to make a difference.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, if the mini-cab drivers have licenses it must be possible - somehow.

(I suppose it could be the case that the driver's lack of English was affected, at least in part).

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'd be surprised if you can't arrange to have an interpreter present when you sit your driving test

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I suppose it could be the case that the driver's lack of English was affected, at least in part

Affected by what?
wink.gif

Top Bottom