Gaz down in Streatham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

I don't get how because im rating it as 50/50 that is worse for everybody who shares the road with me when im trying my utmost to avoid this or any other sort of incident.

Quite simple.

It is because you think that someone who moves across, or into, another lane without being able to see whether or not it is clear to do so, is as equally culpable for the resulting collision as the innocent person they hit, if that person's visibility is also impaired.

I think the most constructive action moving forward will be to put both Gaz and the driver on trial. Death by cyclechat....the charge? Failure to Bunnyhop

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I think the most constructive action moving forward will be to put both Gaz and the driver on trial. Death by cyclechat....the charge? Failure to Bunnyhop

Before i am sentenced to that, i want to see you bunny hop over a moving car on your road bike! :laugh:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
When a vehicle is turning right across three lanes of traffic, Hackers, who is supposed to give way? The oncoming traffic, or the vehicle turning right?
we know that it's the numpty turning from the right. But, as Downfader and Ben point out, fault is one thing and practice another. I find these videos difficult to interpret, so I'm not for a second suggesting that Gaz was overdoing it.

But, and you'll be absolutely shocked to read this, BM, but there are times when I whizz along bus lanes at a rate of knots. I take a chance. If some idiot turns right across me and I go in to his or her car I'll be thinking two things

a) 'what a tosser - revenge will be mine!'
b) 'whoops, that was a mistake!'

(actually, when I went over the front of a taxi my first thought was '**** me this is spectacular - I hope somebody's watching!'

GrasB

Veteran
A little late to the party but GWS Gaz & glad you seem to have escaped with only minor injuries.

As for the bunny hopping a road bike, over it might be a push. However you should be able to bump up onto bonnet then gracefully drop off the other side & nonchalantly ride away as though it was nothing a bit like this...
fiets870.gif

Moderators

Legendary Member
OK everrbody, cut out the personal insults. If it carries on then the thread will be locked.
Please keep the thread on topic.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Not quite.He diidn't see Gaz but we don't actually know why?

Did he look or didn't he look? (1)

He must have been looking in that direction to make the move. (2)

Why was Gaz rushing into a black hole anyway? (3)

Yes I know it's easy to do and that it could happen to me as well. (4)

1 Could be target fixation, could be other issues, only through talking to the driver will the Police find out. We can but speculate and its now down to Plod.

2 As above, he could have been completely focussed on the gap and the destination rather that being safe. With situations/drivers like that you're never going to win, just be glad the chances of it happening are so slim.

3 I would seriously disagree that Gaz was rushing. Compare and contrast to other riders I have seen in the cold, dark and wet (youtube and in real life) and that was pretty sedate riding. Knowing his camera I'd say he was sub-20mph, pos. 15. By my own strada in those conditions I average 10-15mph to increase braking capacity and give myself time to assess hazards. In the dry and the day I could double that average when I feel its safe...

(Gaz, what did your Garmin say, if it was in use?)

4 Exactly. You can take all the safety measures you like, the only thing that would ever stop this is complete removal from cycling on the roads or near them. Since that aint going to happen these things will still continue.

PhunkPilot

Renegade of Phunk!
Not getting involved as I believe the thread was started merely to inform us of Gaz's accident and for people to express their best wishes.............

Glad its not too serious Gaz. Get well soon.

400bhp

Guru
You all do actually gang up on people who see it in a different way.Gang up/bully.

Things don't change on here.I have a low I.Q because I had different reasoning?

You know nothing about me.

If you talk bollox in public expect to be villified for it.

If you don't like it don't post.

Top Bottom