Gaz down in Streatham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ferret fur

Glad Gaz is ok:

I work in aviation. We have an ethos we work with known as a 'just safety culture' When things go wrong the idea is that we don't go around blaming everyone else & looking for scapegoats. If there is an incident then learn from it, without trying to apportion blame. Quite frankly I think this is something the forum could do with.

What you can say from this incident is that one person did something wrong: By turning across a bus lane without being able to see properly. Fine. People do that & if what the driver has done is deemed sufficiently negligent they will get charged. The question is what Gaz & the rest of us learn from it? To me this is not a completely unavoidable accident. This does not mean that Gaz is in any way to blame. He was entitled to be doing what he was doing, but what I learn from this is:

1: If there is any sort of a gap in the traffic there is a risk that someone will turn through it.
2: If there are multiple risks ahead you have to treat each one on its merits. A technique we use at work is once you have identified a hazard be aware of it but then look for the next one. Ok there are cars looking to pull out, but what else is a potential threat?

I don't think it is enough to say that Gaz couldn't see past the van & had other things to think about therefore it was impossible to anticipate that a car might appear from the right. I suspect that 99% of us might have got caught out by what happened.. even some of the riding gods on this forum could have been distracted by the particular circumstances shown in the video. Quite frankly it doesn't really matter & it is hard to tell from a video how you might react . However we can all use Gaz's experience to better inform us what can happen out there - and it might just make us better riders.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
OK everrbody, cut out the personal insults. If it carries on then the thread will be locked.
Please keep the thread on topic.

Please do cut out the personal insults. You will gain no respect from other forum members by winning an internet argument over something fairly trivial. Be the bigger person and just let it be.

I would like to thank all of you for your wishes.

Peter10

You dont always need to requalify with a UK license, definitely not if you are european, and you can have international ones transferred?

They must apply for a UK license after 1 year on an International I believe. I'm 100% sure of that on international (unless law changed in last 6 months) not sure on EU.

Plus how do you know the driver didn't check?

Perhaps he did and didn't see Gaz.

Then he didn't check ADEQUATELY

In fairness though Gaz should have been more defensive and left the bike at home since roads are for cars and dangerous for cyclists.

Defensive cycling to it's logical conclusion

Origamist

Legendary Member
But, and you'll be absolutely shocked to read this, BM, but there are times when I whizz along bus lanes at a rate of knots. I take a chance. If some idiot turns right across me and I go in to his or her car I'll be thinking two things

a) 'what a tosser - revenge will be mine!'
b) 'whoops, that was a mistake!'

(actually, when I went over the front of a taxi my first thought was '**** me this is spectacular - I hope somebody's watching!'

Yep, that's pretty much my take. I know the risks; I know the cues for a potential hook, and yet I still take the odd chance - this means bonnet surfing is a possibility.

I've watched the vid a few times now and I don't think I have learnt anything from it and I can't see my riding style changing. Like Dell, I roll the dice from time to time...

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
we know that it's the numpty turning from the right. But, as Downfader and Ben point out, fault is one thing and practice another. I find these videos difficult to interpret, so I'm not for a second suggesting that Gaz was overdoing it.

But, and you'll be absolutely shocked to read this, BM, but there are times when I whizz along bus lanes at a rate of knots. I take a chance. If some idiot turns right across me and I go in to his or her car I'll be thinking two things

a) 'what a tosser - revenge will be mine!'
b) 'whoops, that was a mistake!'

(actually, when I went over the front of a taxi my first thought was '**** me this is spectacular - I hope somebody's watching!'

Why would I be shocked by that, LOL? It's not hypocrisy after all, not even slightly. ;)

I think we all take chances sometimes, and we all come across this situation thousands of times in any year of commuting in London. Where there's an occasional muppet driver that does what the one in Gaz's video does, most of us also manage to correct and avoid that driver's mistake. Not always though, and I'm not sure I could have done any better than Gaz.

My specific point was to Hackers though, who seems to be a little confused about the highway code, and the driver clearly being at fault here without the slightest of doubt. More careful and more defensive riding, as you correctly point out, is a completely different matter. OTOH, I'm sure you'll excuse my scepticism of Lee and Hackers' posts when I've seen just how risk loving they can both be.

:blush: very late on this thread (yesterday was a bit of a distraction...). Take care of yourself Gaz and look after that arm (and the back, if it still hurts). Mighty glad we don't have a Gaz-less forum! :ohmy:

Totally Drivers fault, he has not looked to see what was coming down the bus lane, just gone for the gap, possibly been waved through but that counts for nothing!
Hesitate to argue with a copper, but doesn't waving someone through count for some of the blame, assuming it can be pinned on anyone? I remember during a driving lesson (all those years ago!) waving someone across my path, and my instructor immediately snapped at me "if you do that on the Test, instant fail!" I still do it sometimes (well we all do) but I know I could be taking a risk...

Ah, you're one of the 80% who think they are above average...
[pedant moment]"Mode", maybe, rather than "average". A bit like saying, "99.9% of people have more than the average number of legs" (which is perfectly true).[/pedant moment] :biggrin:

Are Croydonians any smarter?
Unfortunately streatham neighbours the amazing Croydon. And if I want to head into central London, it is the fastest way. Otherwise I avoid at all costs :laugh:
Glad to hear it. Having once attempted to navigate from Croydon into Central London via NCN signage (and getting lost in the environs of DZ's sometime alma mater..) I can vouch that the A23 route is the only way I'd try that journey - traffic or no traffic! Because I'd get hopelessly lost otherwise. :blush:

Hesitate to argue with a copper, but doesn't waving someone through count for some of the blame, assuming it can be pinned on anyone? I remember during a driving lesson (all those years ago!) waving someone across my path, and my instructor immediately snapped at me "if you do that on the Test, instant fail!" I still do it sometimes (well we all do) but I know I could be taking a risk...

I think the waving (flashing Not what fnarr thinks ;) ) is morally to blame and shouldn't do it (so yes it would be a fail) but the driver is responsible for their own actions; to put it simply its a bit like saying its not my fault the big lad told me to do it.

PBancroft

Only just seen this thread, but for more than one reason, blimey. People.
angry.gif

Gaz, you're damn lucky its not more serious, and considering the people I've seen acting like monkeys behind the wheel lately sadly there probably will be more serious incidents. Get well soon.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Just seen someone comment on another forum about this and how annoyed they were by the comments..

I go on his video's page and see stuff like this:
you should pay for any damage to that car. you showed no sign of slowing down,driving without due care and attention,,even if it was just a bicycle you were on.I would make you pay for a full respray and I would of claimed whiplash against you.

TheSnow2day 8 hours ago

get a car!

badboykilroy 1 hour ago
(the usual)

that was all your fault d***head stop at junctions

Weeman44444444444444 2 hours ago

lol, so funny, dont care who's fault.

graybum 3 hours ago

You shouldn't be in a bus lane. you should be with the other traffic. but people like you think the roads are all yours.flying around like that.you knew the traffic had stopped but you didn't give a shoot.full pelt into a junction when you could not see what was happening .Selfish b@stardTheSnow2day 7 hours ago

no the car driver needs compensating,the bike rider was 100% at fault for speeding down a busy road. If he hit my car I would have to get out and knock him out ...TheSnow2day 1 hour ago

TheSnow2day is obviously trolling but it winds me up that some p**** can just go online, effectively slander someone and not have some comeback. If anyone ever said such a thing to my face regarding my off from 2008 I'm afraid I would lose my temper. :huh: Start clicking "spam" on the comments?

TheSnow2day is obviously trolling but it winds me up that some p**** can just go online, effectively slander someone and not have some comeback. If anyone ever said such a thing to my face regarding my off from 2008 I'm afraid I would lose my temper. :huh: Start clicking "spam" on the comments?

I think you tube used to have a mark post as abusive (or was it unsuitable) but they've removed it now, it seems to be changing every 2 weeks :-(

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think you tube used to have a mark post as abusive (or was it unsuitable) but they've removed it now, it seems to be changing every 2 weeks :-(

Theres a little drop-down menu for flagging and thats it.. You can only flag for spam.

Just got this on there:

You speak of "onus" and "legally". Pretty sure the driver just wanted to get home asap. You also come across as a bit of an arrogant peanut, banging out your opinion at everyone who doesn't agree with it? Kinda like trolling?SozzledTerror 1 minute ago

My reply was thus:
""Arrogant" etc is your choice of words... I however can back up what I say with the highway code and the law (and a fair bit of experience). If you're wrong I will challenge you. The question is: can you prove me wrong with the Highway Code or the Road Traffic Act?
We all want to get home in those conditions, the point is we all have responsibility to do so safely. Several people on here have blamed the victim. The driver did not act with due caution."

Top Bottom