Gaz down in Streatham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Gaz! Gaz! Gaz! what are we to do with you?, Not content with doing falling stunts in the streets, you've chosen to do them on the roads too, I'm afraid we've no choice but to send your bikes to me for looking after for say 20 years ( you can keep the broken one as a reminder) :biggrin:

Glad to know you're ok mate :thumbsup:

Peter10

The first thing I was taught when I learned to drive was that you always give way to a car if you need to cross it's path e.g. Turning right.

Hope you get well soon and I'm glad it wasn't worse especially this time of. Year.

taxing

I missed this (lucky for me, seems like I missed all of the mudslinging). Hope you get well soon Gaz.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

The mudslinging came mostly from one person, who, having claimed that the responsibility for the collision was "50/50" between Gaz and the driver, became increasingly hostile when this view was challenged. All his posts seem to have been deleted.

Anyway, hope Gaz is on the mend.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
[QUOTE 1270191"]
No I don't agree. If what happened to Gaz was a one off never-to-be-repeated event then I'd agree but what happened didn't.

If you can't see a car with their LHS indicator, see the intention of a driver turning right out of a side those front of the car is already over the give way line and a gap develop then that is a problem. Sweet FA to do with hindsight and plastering over peoples faults as a cyclist. These type of things I see almost daily and deal with by slowing down. 'Tis blind and misgiving to assume, and I don't see what me taking risks has to do with defensive riding and you are confusing fact (about my riding) with your own opinion, but let's face it this is not the first time either so I would not expect anything else TBH.
[/quote]

Keep trying to hammer those nails home - you aint even got a hammer, mate. Lee, you're not perfect, you, as with I and any other rider, would have been hit by that driver. There is no mitigation of risk other than coming to a completely unnecessary standstill just on the offchance, or the driver actually doing THEIR part and not flying through as speed.

Gaps develop all the time. Most drivers dont fly through them blindfold. Sometimes the responsibility comes from others.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
[QUOTE 1270196"]
Has a look in one's toolbox and looks at a lovely ball hammer he bought from Wickes a while back.

The other highlighted bit is utter tosh. You don't have to reduce your speed to a 'standstill' as you put it at all - merely reduce your speed to the point where you could come to a standstill if need be. The other bits in bold are pure speculation and is both ignorant and offensive to me and other cyclists out there saying we all 'would have been hit by that driver.' I would suggest a retraction..
[/quote]

Lee. You're being facetious now. Stop being a mary and leave it. You aint superman just the same as the rest of us. Sometimes I wonder if you get off on this? It gets offensive.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Lee is entitled to his opinion, people may not agree with it, but isn't that just part of life?

It is easy to watch the video and see everything unfold. But lee, can't you accept that sometimes we will miss something? I'm certainly not perfect and clearly i missed the gap emerging in the traffic where the car appeared from. What has happened has happened. Now lets learn from it.
Do you really think that the left indicating WV was a danger?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
It may be my eyesight but it looked (to me) as if Gaz did actually slow down as he approached the car on the left (although it seemed to be more in response to the van indicating left from the lane to his right). Not a huge reduction in speed bu enough to be able to stop if the car on the left pulled out as he would have seen it earlier... the car from the right was out of the blue though, and had no intention of making any attempt to check for traffic down the bus lane. Cr*p driving!!

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Been off the site for a few weeks sorting my life out and I get dragged back when Road.CC post a grisly crash on my RSS feed! Glad to know that you're OK Gaz.

Abs

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
[QUOTE 1270204"]
What's been 'appening Abs?
[/quote]

Everything! :biggrin:

Cat died, redundancy, painful dental work, other halfs redundancy, other cat is diagnosed diabetic and costing a fortune then to top it all one of our PS3s died.

Still smiling though and I'm sure everything will work out. :biggrin:

Abs

EDIT : Oh yeah I forgot I also cycled into the arse of the most expensive jag I could find. :thumbsup:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
[QUOTE 1270201"]
From your POV of course this is experience and I hope (forgive if I sound patronising) that you watch out in slow moving traffic. People are a lot more inclined to stop to let traffic in and out then they would do if the traffic is free flowing, and watch for those cars coming out of junctions.
[/quote]

One reason i got my camera, was to learn from it (being able to review incidences and see where i could improve) and having recently watched over old footage i can see how much of a better rider i have become in traffic environments. This incident is one that i can definitely learn from. And your point about drivers more likely to let other drivers cross there path in slow moving traffic is an excellent one. Definitely one to think about in future.

From a cyclists point of view about defensive cycling and riding safely, i see your point about 50/50. But i don't think that would apply to any insurance claims.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
From a cyclists point of view about defensive cycling and riding safely, i see your point about 50/50.

Really? Fair enough. We will let you have, say, 5% for the valuable learning experience. So fault wise it was 5%/95% you/driver. Still a hell of a long way from 50/50

Top Bottom