GCN+ Gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Its pretty much the same content on Disc+ though isnt it, just accessed thru a different app. GCN had a bit more online content I think.

Just take your refund and subscribe to Disc+ instead.

Discoveryt+ is a bit more expensive, but more importantly, the standard subscription (the one with cycling) is only available as a monthly subscription. Paying annually is easier to get through without my wife noticing.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Discoveryt+ is a bit more expensive, but more importantly, the standard subscription (the one with cycling) is only available as a monthly subscription. Paying annually is easier to get through without my wife noticing.

But then again it means you can save money by not subscribing during the winter when there's no racing on. Unless, of course, you either aren't organised enough to do this, or you find you get hooked on the other gunge in Disc+ which is to say you are like most of us.

Alex321

Veteran
But then again it means you can save money by not subscribing during the winter when there's no racing on. Unless, of course, you either aren't organised enough to do this, or you find you get hooked on the other gunge in Disc+ which is to say you are like most of us.

Yeah, I wouldn't be organised enough. And I probably would find myself watching other things and so keep it even if I was.

Same sort of thing with Rouvy. I subscribe to that for use on the Turbo Trainer, but haven't been on it since March. I almost went on it on Sunday, but didn't quite get round to it. I should really cancel it during the summer, but I'm not that organised - and I suspect their business model relies on people being that disorganised.

DogmaStu

It's definitely a sad day.

I'll probably get Discovery+ but only for the road season, not every month. It does say you get the Olympics 2024 too though so that could be worth it for that period. Still ad-free too from what I read.

Alex321

Veteran
It's definitely a sad day.

I'll probably get Discovery+ but only for the road season, not every month. It does say you get the Olympics 2024 too though so that could be worth it for that period. Still ad-free too from what I read.

No, it isn't ad-free

Which plans have ads?

All discovery+ plans have a limited number of ads in the on-demand content (less than half the volume on live TV). Ads already appear in our live content available via the live channels.

A sad day, have really enjoyed GCN+. Particularly the crosses in winter. My GLW is currently delving into the Discovery website to work out what we can switch to. Perhaps the standard plan @ £7/month will suffice. There’s a cheaper basic plan but it’s not clear whether is covers cycling, it seems to contradict itself on different pages.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A sad day, have really enjoyed GCN+. Particularly the crosses in winter. My GLW is currently delving into the Discovery website to work out what we can switch to. Perhaps the standard plan @ £7/month will suffice. There’s a cheaper basic plan but it’s not clear whether is covers cycling, it seems to contradict itself on different pages.

I don't think "Basic" covers cycling. This link (which is the page that GCN linked to) says not https://support.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360018960398

Basic Stream our on-demand catalogue, plus the following live channels: Animal Planet, Discovery, Discovery History, Discovery Science, DMAX, Food Network, HGTV, ID, Quest, Quest Red, TLC, and Turbo.
Standard Stream everything included with the Basic plan, plus sports content: Eurosport 1 & 2, cycling, tennis, snooker, motorsports, and the Olympic Games Paris 2024.

I don't think "Basic" covers cycling. This link (which is the page that GCN linked to) says not https://support.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360018960398

Basic Stream our on-demand catalogue, plus the following live channels: Animal Planet, Discovery, Discovery History, Discovery Science, DMAX, Food Network, HGTV, ID, Quest, Quest Red, TLC, and Turbo.
Standard Stream everything included with the Basic plan, plus sports content: Eurosport 1 & 2, cycling, tennis, snooker, motorsports, and the Olympic Games Paris 2024.

Thanks, yes she has now found a link on GCN that confirms that it’s the standard £6.99/month one that covers cycling.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Just the GCN+, not GCN itself. The video (at 40 sec) says "In Europe GCN+ subscribers can continue to watch live cycling and will have the option to access Discovery Plus". I'm not sure how that will work out. Buy a new subscription? GCN+ sub rolled into Discovery+?

I guess that the parent Mega Media Corp or whoever it is couldn't see sense in a little app that actually competed with some of their other services.

Edit. According to this:
https://help.globalcyclingnetwork.com/hc/en-gb/articles/19965721079697

"You can subscribe to the discovery+ Standard plan to continue watching cycling events together with can't-miss entertainment. " So no, the GCN+ sub does not roll into Discovery+ It just stops and if you want to buy Discovery+ Standard (£6.99 per month) you can.

Does anyone know if Discovery+ Standard gives GCN+'s documentaries?

Yes I was a subscriber from quite early on and although sometimes I thought about cancelling my sub, they always came.out with another brilliant film and I always looked forward to it.

Alex321

Veteran
At the moment, no.

In the YouTube comments when people have asked about the documentaries which have already been released, GCN have replied saying that they are looking into how and where these may be made available.

I wouldn't hold my breath for there being any new ones.

There was a time last year when they released a number of the documentaries on Youtube for a limited time.

I suspect they did that as an advertising thing for GCN+

They have also recently got into the habit of creating a cut down version of some of them on the GCN youtube channel.

Chislenko

Veteran
Just for info, Discovery+ is incorporated into a Sky Q package at no cost.

I haven't actually used it or logged into the app as Eurosport is also part of Sky Q.

Whilst talking TV the Netflix login we had from a friend got cut off yesterday which was annoying as we only had two episodes of Manifest left to watch, I guess I will now never see the end of it!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just for info, Discovery+ is incorporated into a Sky Q package at no cost.
How the heck do you get Sky Q at no cost? It's normally £28/mth + £20 upfront on an 18-month contract.

E1 is still available with German commentary free to air in standard definition DVB-S if anyone has an unused satellite dish or is able to fit a second antenna head or motor to an existing dish. Presumably at some point it'll go DVB-S2 and maybe HD, but for now pretty much any old receiver since digital switchover works.

Top Bottom