GCN+ Gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
How the heck do you get Sky Q at no cost? It's normally Ā£28/mth + Ā£20 upfront on an 18-month contract.
That isn't what he said, and you'd know if you read the post, before passing comment on it.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Thatā€™s a pain, I used to watch on Eurosport through BT then that went so I went to GCN. Now itā€™s either itv4 highlights or fork out Ā£6.99 a month.

Id want to be able to chromecast from discovery if thatā€™s possible.

What about Orla and the boys?

DogmaStu

Thatā€™s a pain, I used to watch on Eurosport through BT then that went so I went to GCN. Now itā€™s either itv4 highlights or fork out Ā£6.99 a month.

Id want to be able to chromecast from discovery if thatā€™s possible.

What about Orla and the boys?

I think D+ does work via Chromecast from an app.

I'm sure Orla already works for Eurosport/Discovery+ and has moved on to Rugby etc but it's possible the Discovery+ team for cycling commentary might remain largely the same maybe - just under their main banner, rather than the now defunct subsidiary GCN+. Possibility. Carlton will still be there seeing as like Orla, he works directly for Eurosport/Discovery+.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I guess GCN was a small audience relative to eurosport otherwise It would have direct revenue implications for cycling. But, beyond advertising income, it probably had a much greater impact in promoting races male and female beyond the three grand tours. Cycling as a whole loses here as only a fraction of us will migrate to discovery.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is there a Deutsche Karlton Kirby I wonder?
No, their main commentator is the great Karsten Migels. Although I don't much like the new summariser / secondary commentator who's replaced former French national champion Jean-Claude Leclercq for most races, he's nowhere near as bad as CK.

Last edited:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Shrugs.

I enjoyed 80% of the documentaries and the ones starting Simon were quite spectacular. I really enjoyed the way he not only talked about the bike (look ate, I am on the bike again, oh how tired I am, I wonder if I will make it) but he really talked a lot about the geography and history of the places he rode through, all in a highly entertaining way.

I will miss those.

I also enjoyed watching the downhill MTB races rather a lot and had the road racing on in the background sometimes.

But on the whole, I won't get any other subscription (D+, or whatever else). I was happy paying and supporting directly for GCN+ but I don't bother with any other channels. So I'm out (unless GCN does something else).

A quick word on GCN on YouTube: they are good sometimes, mostly ok. But I really make the time and effort to watch Simon and Dan on their weekly shows. Manon is a good presenter too and the other guys are good with bike specific trivia.

Top Bottom