GCN+ Gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m gutted to be honest, it is the only thing I actually subscribe to (except prime) and the content just got better and better and better over the past couple of years. I like how they really brought it to the mainstream and the documentaries were excellent too! Now the money men have got involved and we’ll probably have to get both Eurosport and Discovery to get the same races thus paying more, it’ll probably be littered with ads and we will have to sift through skiing and fishing documentaries to get to it. Not looking forward to the future…….

……looks like I’ll be using the dodgy fire stick……

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
we’ll probably have to get both Eurosport and Discovery to get the same races thus paying more
Discovery+ Standard includes Eurosport. If anything Eurosport will be next to change as Warner are moving sports to their TNT brand.

The currenty cyclocross season is covered by Discovery+
https://www.discoveryplus.com/gb/sport/cyclo-cross

Discovery+ Standard includes Eurosport. If anything Eurosport will be next to change as Warner are moving sports to their TNT brand.

If they simplify it in terms of streaming platforms across their networks that’s one thing, it obviously comes down to money but I can’t help but feel it’ll still be more about shoving other content I don’t want such as “reality” Wicked Tuna, Duck Dynasty (whatever they’re called) down my throat along with adverts! I shall see how it develops, but I think GCN+ is spot on as it is, with specific content I’m actually interested in.
I had access to Eurosport through a friend’s account to watch the cycling before I got GCN+ and I thought it was dire, the functionality of the app was poor. And I wasn’t interested in the skiing or snooker! If sports move over to TNT then at least we should continue to get the attention seeking Orla along with Dan, Adam and Robbie….. 🤞

albion

Guru
Just check my subscription via the web. And it actually says 'Upcoming on 27/01/2024
£6.99' meaning they cancelled the yearly payment, now taking £84.

And I often do find the cycling too hard to watch. There are simply too many gruesome accidents these days.
I cancelled, and got a 25% offer. For entertainment. On that I have likely watched less than 2 shows per year.

£84 was not massive but less sport gets me out more.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
If they simplify it in terms of streaming platforms across their networks that’s one thing, it obviously comes down to money but I can’t help but feel it’ll still be more about shoving other content I don’t want such as “reality” Wicked Tuna, Duck Dynasty (whatever they’re called) down my throat along with adverts! I shall see how it develops, but I think GCN+ is spot on as it is, with specific content I’m actually interested in.
I had access to Eurosport through a friend’s account to watch the cycling before I got GCN+ and I thought it was dire, the functionality of the app was poor. And I wasn’t interested in the skiing or snooker! If sports move over to TNT then at least we should continue to get the attention seeking Orla along with Dan, Adam and Robbie….. 🤞

I do not disagree but given Play Sports lost £10m in 2021 there was clearly a unsustainable factor which GCN+ would have been a major contributing factor; there is no GTN+ or GMBN+ and from Warner's viewpoint why had they got a dedicated service for one sport only.

Yes it’s all about the money- we all know that. From a business perspective I completely understand it, but conversely they need to be mindful that GCN+ subscribers like myself who only want the cycling content don’t leave in droves. It’s highly unlikely- they’d have looked at the probability of this and probably will offer all sports for one ‘low’ price to entice you in (albeit more than what we pay now I suspect.) then find the shortfall by advertising. It’s swings and roundabouts……..

geocycle

Legendary Member
It is about the money. But, I’d be interested in seeing the business model that shows lumping all sports under a single subscription is more profitable than lots of sports individually. A mixed model could be optimal.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wow I didn't think gcn had that many ,I expected the presenters and a few camera crew

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Wow I didn't think gcn had that many ,I expected the presenters and a few camera crew

For the GCN+ team I imagine that involves delivering and supporting the app, making the films and all the stuff around GCN+ Quite a significant operation.

GCN itself (not plus) will have presenters and camera crew plus people who write the scripts, do research, editing, and all the production stuff so still quite a few.

tarric

Über Member
Just for info, Discovery+ is incorporated into a Sky Q package at no cost.

I haven't actually used it or logged into the app as Eurosport is also part of Sky Q.

Whilst talking TV the Netflix login we had from a friend got cut off yesterday which was annoying as we only had two episodes of Manifest left to watch, I guess I will now never see the end of it!
I used the discovery+ app through sky this year for all the races I watched, can't say I noticed much difference and still ad free and as I already subscribed to sky saved a few bob as well.

Chislenko

Veteran
I used the discovery+ app through sky this year for all the races I watched, can't say I noticed much difference and still ad free and as I already subscribed to sky saved a few bob as well.

I am glad you have posted. I did tentatively look at Discovery+ but it said you had to create an account first. However when I went to create an account it asked for a credit card for + or just open a non + account.

Do you open a non + account and then when you login on the Sky Q it knows and gives you the full service?

tarric

Über Member
Top Bottom