GCN+ Gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Just don't go in The Old Swan up the road for a pint afterwards, £4.50 won't buy you anything!

I've never actually been into any of the three pubs around that square, though The Old Swan would be the most likely, given that Cardiff Morris occasionally dance there, and that is the pub they use when doing so.

I don't think I've ever actually stopped for a pint anywhere when on the bike. I probably would have done last April, if I hadn't pulled a calf muscle two days before, so drove rather than cycling that day.

Alex321

Veteran
Not that it has anything to do with the subject, but I looked up cost of a TV licence in the 70s because I was interested to know. It started out at £6pa and ended at £12pa for the two BBC channels. The other channel was ad supported.

Not that the lack of cycling coverage bothered me because cycling as a sport was something that I'd never really heard of in the 70s. There were only about four or five sports in existence in those days. Football, rugby, cricket and ... er ... athletics. Oh and wrestling.

And rallycross :smile:

There was also horse racing of course, but nobody was interested in that unless you were a gambler.

Alex321

Veteran
In the 60s we had, Grandstand, cyclocross always muddy and cars climbing muddy hillsides to see how far they could get. Probably shown when football was frozen off.

They couldn't show the football on Grandstand or World of Sport in those days, because it was thought that showing live matches would reduce the crowd sizes at the matches. So apart from the FA cup final and internationals, you only ever got highlights. And Match of the Day only had highlights from two matches then, not from the whole division.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And rallycross :smile:

There was also horse racing of course, but nobody was interested in that unless you were a gambler.

Of course, how could I forget horse racing. When I was little, before we owned a television, we used to go round to my grandparents at weekends and sit in their small, overheated, living room and watch grandstand. All I can remember is horse racing and - the highlight of my week - the teleprinter. I loved the teleprinter. But I was a bit scared of Cruel Alexandra.

Agreed - it is £4.50 for a coffee and cake in Café Velo in Llantwit Major, which is the one I use most often.

It hasn't officially ever been £20/year. But there was a period when you could get it for that (officially a 50% discount) for the first year.

But at full price (which you had to pay after the first year) it was still only around half the price of Discovery+ and with more cycling content, unless they are going to move the films over and continue making more of them.

I got as much from the films as from the racing, personally.

The cafes we stop at used to be under £5 a person for coffee and cake before lockdown. It's now £6 to £7.

£4.50 is cheap - £6.99 is probably average.

tarric

Über Member
It isn't difficult to navigate but it's not as user friendly.
Try going and watching something from August this year. You have to scroll down to the bottom of the page and then scroll for ages to get back to August. On GCN+ you can look at each month's content separately.

There isn't always an ad free option.
And how do you know that the ad free options are going to continue once GCN+ is closed down?

Each to their own, personally I don't find it any more or less user friendly just different.
Just type what you want to watch into the search box and highlight sport.

I can't say I watched everything but I watch a lot and everything I watched was ad free.

Precognition is one thing I've never mastered but then I don't know any that have.

Are you watching online via the website or on tv via the app.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The cafes we stop at used to be under £5 a person for coffee and cake before lockdown. It's now £6 to £7.

£4.50 is cheap - £6.99 is probably average.
If "it's now £6 to £7" then £6.99 can only be average if almost all are at £7 and one is a bit cheaper.

Y'all should ride in Norfolk. £5.99 is good coffee and a decent cake in a historic building in town.

Mike_P

Guru
I can't say I watched everything but I watch a lot and everything I watched was ad free
Quoting them

All discovery+ plans have a limited number of ads in the on-demand content (less than half the volume on live TV). Ads already appear in our live content available via the live channels.
So watching Eurosport will have ads like Eurosport anywhere but watching through the on demand player has a limited number which could be just at the beginning. After all if they have no ad free coverage of a cycle race Carlton is going to find he's talking to himself, oh hang on...

rualexander

Legendary Member
Each to their own, personally I don't find it any more or less user friendly just different.
Just type what you want to watch into the search box and highlight sport.

I can't say I watched everything but I watch a lot and everything I watched was ad free.

Precognition is one thing I've never mastered but then I don't know any that have.

Are you watching online via the website or on tv via the app.

I'm watching on Chromecast on my TV via the D+ android app on my phone.
Typing what you want to watch into the search box may work but you need to know what you want to watch to do that 😂

tarric

Über Member
I'm watching on Chromecast on my TV via the D+ android app on my phone.
Typing what you want to watch into the search box may work but you need to know what you want to watch to do that 😂
Well I've no idea how that works I either watch it via the app on sky or the tv or on my laptop via the website.
I normally know which race I want to watch.

Chislenko

Veteran
Must admit I am not really an app person so my knowledge is pretty poor.

I am assuming you can't record from an app like you can from a Sky Box.

For example if I wanted to watch the cyclo cross on Saturday morning on discovery+ I couldn't set it to record like I could on Eurosport? I would have to search it out after the event and watch it that way? (Yes I could watch it live but won't be in Saturday a.m.)

Top Bottom