Gear cable change on Shimano RS 505 hydraulic shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
I want to change the rear derailleur cable on my Hyrdaulic shifter, which is a RS 505, which is the 105 system.
Can't see where to install the cable on the shifter, the shimano tech document doesn't seem to show the shifter the same as mine. There are a couple of very small hex bolts which may need to be undone but don't want to do that until I'm sure. Anyone done this?

This is the shifter

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
image.jpeg

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
No experience of that particular shifter, but you'll need to peel the hood back from the front and it will probably feed into it's guide along the side of the body.
That's what I would have expected but sadly no. Looks like something needs to be removed to gain access to where it enters the shifter.

That's what I would have expected but sadly no. Looks like something needs to be removed to gain access to where it enters the shifter.
There's a small plastic shroud, over the guide, flip It out with a screwdriver, click it back into position when you're done.

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
There's a small plastic shroud, over the guide, flip It out with a screwdriver, click it back into position when you're done.
Thanks I'll have another look tomorrow, the shimano tech docs mention a plastic cover but I'm buggered if I can find one.

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
The only piece of plastic that comes off is just below my finger and that hides the bolt for removing/adjusting the shifter. Looking at the cable it would seem the entry should be from the other side of the shifter and there is nothing there either.
Will end up taking yo LBS which is bloody annoying for what should be a simple job.

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
image.png
It looks nothing like this. Looks like Shimano did a tech document to cover a few models and couldn't be arsed putting a separate one out for the RS505

si_c

Guru
Ajax Bay.... Mystery solved, I had removed that cover but without the lever in the right position it was invisible. Thanks very much
I was about to say, with the shifter set to the right gear the cable should simply slide out of the side. Otherwise you spend thirty minutes swearing. DAMHITK. :wacko:

Top Bottom