Gear cable outer 'coring'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockworksimon

Über Member
This week I have been driven slightly insane by my efforts to fit gears to my single speed folding bike. I have bought a Decathlon 6 speed twist grip (as fitted to their geared folding bikes), Decathlon outer cable and caps. Everything fits on the bike ok but after short test rides and attempts to refine the indexing I have found that the outer cable is 'coring' into the twist grip housing. The wires in the outer cable are being pulled out of the black plastic casing and into the gear adjuster. The black plastic outer is concertina'ing where it is being squeezed back.

The first time this happened I thought it was because I had scavenged some cable end caps from some old cables and there was some play in the fitting. Also, without a cable cutter tool I made a clumsy job of cable cutting using pliers and a hacksaw.

Today I bought a new cable cutter from Screwfix and Decathlon gear cable caps. Lovely cleanly cut cable outer ends now and we'll fitting caps. Got the indexing almost right. A check on the cable end reveals the coring starting again. Frustration!!

Thinking there are maybe 3 potential issues.
1. The cable outers are rubbish. The look a bit thin although similar diameter to Shimano SIS cables on my other bikes. However they look the same as on all the other BTwin bikes in the shop.
2. The twist grip is faulty (close examination of where cable fits shows nothing untoward)
3. The spring in the old Shimano 600 derallieur is too strong. (It feels just the same as all my other bikes)

I am losing patience! I was going to bin the twist grip and get a friction shifter. However maybe better outer cables are worth a try. I even wondered whether to try brake cable outers as they are thicker and cannot 'core'.

Any good advice or shared experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Photos.

OP
OP
clockworksimon

clockworksimon

Über Member
Cue frantic search of garage floor before it goes dark! Found the offending offcut.

Photos - not sure how to upload pics but will if you can steer me in the right direction. Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Go to tinypic.com, upload the photos and copy and paste the [ img ] tags it has on the upload page.
No need to go to all that trouble, if you're on a PC/Laptop just stick the picture on it (in Pictures) then click on the 'upload a file' button, select 'pictures' in the dialog box, find the photo and double click it. You can then select thumbnail or full image.

OP
OP
clockworksimon

clockworksimon

Über Member
The hole in gear cable end caps is tiny, are you sure they're not brake cable ones (the hole is a lot bigger)

Doh! Just been out to garage. The small print on the back of the pack says brake housing ferrules! Checked the Decathlon website and they do very similar looking packs of gear cable ferrules! If you look closely the pictures on the pack indicate the use too.

Will sort this out before blaming the twist grip or the derailleur!

This was just the objective input that I needed.

For anyone who is interested, my new forged steel cable cutters from Screwfix cost £7.99 and work brilliantly. By far the best value I have found. I got that bit right and was so excited that I rushed and botched the ferrule purchase.

Many thanks
Simon

Last edited:
OP
OP
clockworksimon

clockworksimon

Über Member
Here's an attempt at a picture upload from tiny.pic as instructed......

2ccmid3.jpg

Doh! Just been out to garage. The small print on the back of the pack says brake housing ferrules! Checked the Decathlon website and they do very similar looking packs of gear cable ferrules! If you look closely the pictures on the pack indicate the use too.

Will sort this out before blaming the twist grip or the derailleur!

This was just the objective input that I needed.

For anyone who is interested, my new forged steel cable cutters from Screwfix cost £7.99 and work brilliantly. By far the best value I have found. I got that bit right and was so excited that I rushed and botched the ferrule purchase.

Many thanks
Simon
It doesn't make sense. Brake ferrules are bigger than gear ferrules, not smaller.

I used brake ferrules rather than gear ferrules which I understand have a narrower bore for the inner cable. This would stop the wires from the outer being pulled through.

Gear cables are 4mm. Brake cables are 6mm. If you fitted brake ferrules (6mm) to gear cables (4mm), the fit would be loose and thus they won't push the plastic back like in your photo.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
If I understand the issue correctly you are using the wrong ferrules.
Plastic gear cable ferrules have a small steel washer in them that stops the individual gear cable strands pulling through.

Top Bottom