Gear cable outer 'coring'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is getting pretty hallucinatory. I may as well open my first one.

The best ones are Aluminium or pressed steel

I disagree. The best ones are made from plastic and have a very special shape on the inside. It is shaped so that the cable outer is prevented by an internal ridge from going all the way down until it hits the domed end. This leaves a 2mm or so space between outer cable end and the ferrule end. It creates a bit of no-man's-land for the inner cable to move up and down within the ferrule without any contact. This is important because it settles any dust/dirt on the cable without allowing it to ratchet inwards.

Yes, but do you / can you get plastic ferrules with a tiny metal washer reinforcing the 'hole end'?
That's why I asked for the brand. I've cut open - lengthwise - dozens, probably hundreds of ferrules to show my students the design I mentioned in my reply to Raleighnut above. I've never come across a washer as far as I can remember. I've come across ferrules with O-rings as seals, but not a washer. I am not saying they don't exist, just that I may learn something new here.

rrarider

Veteran
Gear cables are 4mm. Brake cables are 6mm. If you fitted brake ferrules (6mm) to gear cables (4mm), the fit would be loose and thus they won't push the plastic back like in your photo.
I fitted proper 4mm (longitudinally wired) outer for the small sheathed loop on my old bike. The plastic ferrules in the photo are the best that I could find but I had to shave one end to get it to fit in the holder on the chainstay

[URL=http://s984.photobucket.com/user/NickBT1/media/reamech-002_zpsdfsf2um8.jpg.html] reamech-002_zpsdfsf2um8.jpg [/URL]
Is there anything better that I could use, as the chainstay ferrule is a bit wobbly?

Attachments

• reamech-002_zpsdfsf2um8.jpg
    reamech-002_zpsdfsf2um8.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 0
I fitted proper 4mm (longitudinally wired) outer for the small sheathed loop on my old bike. The plastic ferrules in the photo are the best that I could find but I had to shave one end to get it to fit in the holder on the chainstay

View attachment 349468
Is there anything better that I could use, as the chainstay ferrule is a bit wobbly?
There's not much you can do other than try one of these long-nose ferrules.

Cable ferrule long-nose.jpg

It may give you a bit more stability. It is a frame problem you have there, not ferrule problem and it is quite common.
I won't worry too much since it appears that everything is still nice and in-line and won't kink. It is a scenario like this that needs attention.

Paint.png

rrarider

Veteran
I think that link is trying to send me to an ebay page which refers to Campag 'diver's helmet' cable guides. Although the guide on my bike isn't shaped like a diver's helmet, it did originally come with a Gran Sport mech. As I got fed up being dumped on the top tube every now and then, I replaced it with the Shimano 600 mech and replaced the coiled length of outer which took too tight a radius turn and had a slight kink in it. I think a stepped ferrule of some kind is the answer for me.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've never seen that. What brand?
Couldn't tell you. I picked up a handful from a bike shop last year (might have been the year before(I was building up the Raleigh) and for whatever reason (the exact circumstances evade me) I needed to file the end of the ferrule to get it to fit. I got far enough to find a shiny metal surface under the plastic. Could have been a cap rather than a washer but it was definitely steel. If I can find where I put the things, I'll file again and stick a pic up.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think that link is trying to send me to an ebay page which refers to Campag 'diver's helmet' cable guides. Although the guide on my bike isn't shaped like a diver's helmet, it did originally come with a Gran Sport mech. As I got fed up being dumped on the top tube every now and then, I replaced it with the Shimano 600 mech and replaced the coiled length of outer which took too tight a radius turn and had a slight kink in it. I think a stepped ferrule of some kind is the answer for me.
Yeah that photo was for illustration purposes only, luckily John at my LBS of choice will either know he has the right one or let me have a 'root around' in a drawer of assorted cable end bits 'n' bobs for the one that'll work (and then either charge me pennies or let me have it free)

Top Bottom