Gear cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glocal

I can't figure out if the two ends in the photo can be put back together. I tried and failed, but before I take the bike to the shop, is there something I am missing? It seems to me that the nut should be firmly attached to the bit that is tied to the cable. Thanks.
brompton.jpg

First screw the locknut down the threaded part of the rod.
This will then let you screw the two parts together.
Once it's setup at the right length to you all the gears, look that up n the likes of U-tube, screw the locknut back up to lock everything in place.

Luck ........ ^_^

OP
OP
glocal

glocal

I tried that before but now I knew it was the right thing it worked :smile: What confused things is that the locknut doesn't seem to serve a purpose. It prevents over-tigthening but not loosening which I would think is the main concern and what happened here. Thanks for all the help.

What confused things is that the locknut doesn't seem to serve a purpose. It prevents over-tightening but not loosening which I would think is the main concern and what happened here. Thanks for all the help.
To do it correctly you need to hold the second part at the correct length on the threaded bar and twist the locknut so it's hard against it.
This will lock everything in place so it cannot rattle undone.
If you don't hold the second part in place then it will rotate when you try and tighten the locknut against it and it never gets fully tight.

Luck ............ ^_^

OP
OP
glocal

glocal

In case it helps fellow newbies, if you overtighten it, the lever won't shift as smoothly (if at all), and the click will be louder. At the bike shop I was told today that when the lever is in the third position (hardest pedalling) the cable should be slack and locknut/rod should move freely sideways. It's all smooth again.

12boy

Guru
It is easy to forget to back out the rod a turn after screwing it into the hub. That allows for proper shifting, I understand. Then adjust the cable when shifted to high gear so that when you shift into middle gear the shat is just protruding a mm or so beyond the axle. That is what i have been givennto understand, anyway.

Kell

Veteran
I know what you're talking about and I'm not sure I'd follow your guide above... :laugh:

I was always told that you put it in middle gear to make the adjustment.

Try this to see if it makes more sense.

https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203295411-How-do-I-adjust-the-3-speed-gear-hub-

Top Bottom