gear cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

varshilov1

hello everybody i need some advice for something probably silly for some people.
my cable on the gears came out half of it and my gears are mixed i want to know is there a way to put it back without me going to bike shop
thank you

Attachments

• _20180812_160936.JPG
    _20180812_160936.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 31
  • _20180812_160916.JPG
    _20180812_160916.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 33

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It needs a new ferrule but probably a new inner too unless you can thread the old un back in once you have removed it

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks more like the brake cable to me. Also I think the fraying is from the plastic cable housing rather than the inner cable that does the work.
Nah it's definitely the gear outer, question is will the OP be able to get the inner back through and hooked up without that unravelling as it all has to come off to replace the ferrule then be threaded through again.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I would probably try shifting up on to the largest rear sprocket and then, without pedalling, click the shifter as if to shift down a couple of times. This should create some slack in the cable and allow you to reposition the cable outer. If clicking down doesnt create any slack you mayhave to gently pull on the cable outer whilst clicking the shifter to mimic the derailleur spring.

If the cable outer won't go back in you may get away with taking the damaged outer off and cutting the end off then replacing the ferule and re-fitting it all...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I would probably try shifting up on to the largest rear sprocket and then, without pedalling, click the shifter as if to shift down a couple of times. This should create some slack in the cable and allow you to reposition the cable outer. If clicking down doesnt create any slack you mayhave to gently pull on the cable outer whilst clicking the shifter to mimic the derailleur spring.

If the cable outer won't go back in you may get away with taking the damaged outer off and cutting the end off then replacing the ferule and re-fitting it all...
That might work, it looks as if the cable could have been pulled out of the ferrule,

Ahhh ok. Is the barrel adjuster for the brake then? Never seen one at the lever, mind you I only have one rim braked bike, discs everywhere else

That's a V brake lever, if I'm right the gear cable should also have a barrel adjuster too but it appears to be missing, you can see where it 'clicks' into the housing detent. Whether this was removed or was never fitted by the manufacturer/builder.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had a similar problem on my drop handlebar bike, front changer cable at the adjuster on the frame, caused by the end of the outer cable unravelling, all I've done is take the cables off, trim the end of the outer cable and put it all back together. I could do with a new ferrule but I haven't been able to find one yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Globalti

Legendary Member
@raleighnut is correct; that's the gear cable and whoever assembled the bike has left out the barrel adjuster, meaning the plastic ferrule isn't properly supported and has deformed under pressure allowing the inner to break through the steel reinforcing wires. As a secondary assembly fault it looks as if, somehow, the person who built the bike managed to strip back the plastic outer sheath exposing the wires and allowing them to splay apart. Or they used too small a ferrule and over time spring pressure has simply pulled the outer sheath back exposing those wires.

OP, can you post a picture of the same part on the other side for comparison?

si_c

Guru
I'm with @Globalti and @raleighnut it looks like the barrel adjuster might be missing where the cable goes into the shifter, so the ferrule wasn't properly supported and has failed - compounding this the outer cable is now also not fit for purpose as it's damaged.

The only realistic way to fix this is to remove the endcap from the cable, and pull out entirely, then remove about 1cm from outer cable, and put a new ferrule on and then rethread the cable. This isn't a permanent fix though as it will likely re-occur at some point, so ideally a replacement barrel adjuster should be supplied and fitted to prevent reoccurrence.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I'm with @Globalti and @raleighnut it looks like the barrel adjuster might be missing where the cable goes into the shifter, so the ferrule wasn't properly supported and has failed - compounding this the outer cable is now also not fit for purpose as it's damaged.

The only realistic way to fix this is to remove the endcap from the cable, and pull out entirely, then remove about 1cm from outer cable, and put a new ferrule on and then rethread the cable. This isn't a permanent fix though as it will likely re-occur at some point, so ideally a replacement barrel adjuster should be supplied and fitted to prevent reoccurrence.
Those models of shifters don't have barrel adjusters on the gears - only the brakes. The OP needs a new cable outer casing

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
This picture of a very similar looking shifter (taken from here) looks like it has barrel adjusters on both the brake and gear cables. May be a different one, but does look very similar.
View attachment 424292
That's for the left side. In those levers the front shifter on the left lever has a barrel adjuster, but the rear shifter on the right lever relies on there being a barrel adjuster in the rear derailleur or elsewhere in the line.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That can't be right. If you look carefully you can see that, as @raleighnut points out, the ferrule is pressing against a "castellated" or notched bed for a barrel adjuster identical to the one in the pic posted above by Dogtrousers. That bed (I can't think of a name for it) would be internally threaded for the barrel adjuster and thus not suitable for a plastic ferrule under considerable stress from the derailleur spring and cable friction, which explains why it has failed.

To the OP - was the shifting bad for some time before you spotted this problem?

Top Bottom