gear cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
That can't be right. If you look carefully you can see that, as @raleighnut points out, the ferrule is pressing against a "castellated" or notched bed for a barrel adjuster identical to the one in the pic posted above by Dogtrousers. That bed (I can't think of a name for it) would be internally threaded for the barrel adjuster and thus not suitable for a plastic ferrule under considerable stress from the derailleur spring and cable friction, which explains why it has failed.

To the OP - was the shifting bad for some time before you spotted this problem?
I have the previous model of those shifters, and there is no barrel adjuster in the right lever. Searching for the manual for this model, it has a section that says something like setting tension adjuster if fitted, which would indicate that one is not required. Also if you do an image search in Google, none of the right hand levers of this model have a barrel adjuster for the shifter.

As to the op's problem, possibly the tension in the inner was too high, maybe too short, and that caused the outer to fail. I think it needs a full new inner and outer, as well as ferrules.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Blimey. Cheapskates.

iluvmybike

Über Member
That can't be right. If you look carefully you can see that, as @raleighnut points out, the ferrule is pressing against a "castellated" or notched bed for a barrel adjuster identical to the one in the pic posted above by Dogtrousers. That bed (I can't think of a name for it) would be internally threaded for the barrel adjuster and thus not suitable for a plastic ferrule under considerable stress from the derailleur spring and cable friction, which explains why it has failed.

To the OP - was the shifting bad for some time before you spotted this problem?
Sorry but it is the case that there is no barrel adjuster on that side and yes it is a cheapskate practice (there are hundreds of these on bikes everywhere so when you think what they save multiplied by thousands - all adds up) See loads of these through our workshop day in day out. You don't need a barrel adjuster at front end with Shimano rear derailleurs

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sorry but it is the case that there is no barrel adjuster on that side and yes it is a cheapskate practice (there are hundreds of these on bikes everywhere so when you think what they save multiplied by thousands - all adds up) See loads of these through our workshop day in day out. You don't need a barrel adjuster at front end with Shimano rear derailleurs
I thought that may be the case, I've got 3 bikes fitted with that type of shifter (It was 4 but one got nicked) But I'd bought and fitted the shifters as an upgrade so both sides have the adjusters. I can well see manufacturers 'penny pinching' and leaving that one off.

NB - Before anyone says "Why fit them as an upgrade" they're considerably better than the original 'Gripshift' or single lever shifters that the bikes came with and all my 'flatbar' bikes feel the same meaning I don't have to try to remember how to change gear when riding in the dark or in a 'tired and emotional' state (plus they're cheap, £15 a pair)

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I do tend to fall over a lot but nowadays I have a secret weapon to deploy in that scenario. (see avatar) :cheers: :cycle:

SofaBike6-e1307991387234.jpg

Top Bottom