Gear cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Any advice on which brand of gear cable is best in terms of stretching/stability, currently have jagwire cables on one of my bikes and the cables constantly need to be re-tensioned.

amaferanga

Veteran
Have the cable been installed properly? I've never known any cables that need re-tensioning and certainly not quality ones like Jagwire.

OP
OP
the_mikey

the_mikey

Legendary Member
As far as I can tell, everything is installed correctly, but it could also be that the cables are new (installed about two months ago) but it's not possible to ride 30 miles or more without having to wind out the rear barrel adjuster a few turns. The screw securing the cable to the derailleur is tight, and there is no fraying at the tiagra shifter end. I have fitted jagwire pro-racer cables to my 2nd bike and those have been remarkably stable, so maybe I should upgrade the cables to those, and shimano cables are on my 3rd with no real problems there also.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I agree it is very unlikely to be the cable (unless you are somehow using brake cable outer, which has a spiral rather than inline metal core). Have you checked if the outer cable is fully seated into each and every ferrule (which may requiring removing a few mm of the plastic cable outer cover)? Or that the inner cable is fully seated in the shifter?

Top Bottom